Gangrene

Bleitten04

Ok I shot a deer Sunday afternoon.  Almost 100% positive it was the one my buddy wounded on opening day of bow.  This is the southern zone so it was Oct 16 when the wound occured.  It was in the front right shoulder.  Some nasty green/tan liquid came out of the wound.  We trashed that whole shoulder.  The rest of the deer smelled fine.  Does anyone think this was gangrene or just an infection?  Is the rest of the deer good to eat?  I wish I had pictures of the wound it would probably make an answer a lot easier.  Any facts or opinions on what you guys would do would be great!!!!  Also if the deer is infected will the bacteria die when the meat is cooked?

Took a deer years ago that was shot by an arrow through the hoof. I shot it on opening day, buck was limping really bad. Upon inspecting the deer I saw puss coming

from the wound and the eyes of the deer. I gutted the deer and brought him to the local processor. The meat was fine and I'm here to tell this story!

I think it will be fine as long as the meat that you saved smelled alright. The deer I got this years had all kinds of wounds from one end to the other with a very serious wound covering the entire rear. After butchering, and having cut all the bad stuff off, the meat smelled like meat ..... that's a good thing. If all of a sudden I stop posting you will know that the meat wasn't really good after all ...... lol.

I like the idea of having your buddy be a test case....lol. It seems only fair :D

Doc

I had the same experience last year.. and my butcher, who I trust very much, told me that most puss wounds are very isolated and usually doesn't taint the meat beyond the infected area. If you aren't sure.. call a DEC officer and he will come and look at it and give you another tag if he thinks it isn't consumable.

I have eaten deer with wounds and not had any issues. I passed on 2 that did have the same infections and green/tan/ oozing puss. The DEC looked at both and one doe thay gave me a new tag. But the buck I chose to keep since it was my 3rd largest. I did not eat it. I could not guarantee that the infection did not get in the blood stream. I feel if it makes it there the risk of the infection spreading throughout the body is there too. Probably a personal preferecne but the would was so infected and smelled so bad I don't think I could have gotten past it to put it in my mouth. And I have eaten some pretty strange stuff...lol