Wound healing.

First-light

Aren't they remarkable animals? I have seen a couple of deer that have had legs shot off and still able to keep up with other deer that are running away. I shot one that was missing a front leg and it had skin grown over the wound and was one of the fattest deer I have ever shot. Just amazing.

I am wondering if these kinds of long slices are from buck fights.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 4

I could see some kind of almost head-on shot with a broadhead doing that. It's hard to imagine barbed wire staying engaged with the deer's hide long enough to do that, but I suppose anything is possible. That's pretty weird that we have two pictures of deer with that same kind of wound, isn't it?

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:42 AM, Doc said:

Aren't they remarkable animals? I have seen a couple of deer that have had legs shot off and still able to keep up with other deer that are running away. I shot one that was missing a front leg and it had skin grown over the wound and was one of the fattest deer I have ever shot. Just amazing.

I am wondering if these kinds of long slices are from buck fights.

I read that whitetails have incredibly robust immune systems that enables them to sustain wounds that would kill other animals - not them, though!  For them, many wounds will heal, bacteria neutralized and theyre good to go!!

• Like 1