coyote

Personally I don't like killing anything just for the sake of killing... at least give it to someone that wants the hide or might like to have a mount done. I don't really understand guys wanting to get rid of coyotes... not their fault that deer are in the food chain. I'm all for hunting them legally... they're a tough hunt... but I kill them for sport not to eliminate them from the area.

Well your supposta use the decals system to report any coyote kills. Yotes must be kept in check. Since the fur industry tanked pelts are probably worth squat. Now, we have more yotes, more fawns taken to feed the pups. If I see one durring open season they are down. I don't go coyote hunting on purpose to often. But they have been a problem.

One example I can share is from an old lease in Wayne Co. I would see coyotes now and then. I would hear tons of song. Some of it not so happy as while some critter is getting hunted down and eaten alive. On a late season squirrle hunt I saw a pair take down a pregnant doe. Nothing I could do about it as it happened on the neighbors feild but the point is they get hungry, they will feed. For about 3 years ongoing I did do a little varmint control, and a little yote hunting. Skipping all those details at the turn of those 3 years I began to see a nice increase in Turkeys and brousing deer. Right about then I got into Turkey hunting. And the following year the lease was lost.

On a new lease if there is a yote problem I will hunt them, if it gets out of control I figgure get a trapper. NYantler, we don't need a leason on the food chain ok, we get that. We also have gut piles we like to see disposed can't leave the whole job up to the crows ect. I'm just saying there is a balance but in alot of places the yotes get heavy, and I can completly understand someone with property wanting them off it.

Why waist the fur if you are not going to do anything with it?

Some people dont care. Much of the coyote hunting land I have access to is farm land, the farmers just want the yotes gone to protect their livestock, farm cats and dogs. They dont want someone looking for trophy dogs, or picking and choosing the ones with the best fur, they want them dead, as many as possible. If you dont produce results, the chances that they have other guys come in and get it done is just that much higher. I have someone to buy the pelts, but only if they dont have mange. Thats not gonna stop me from shooting mangy ones though.

I hunt them because they are tough to get for some of us. Coyotes are called varments for a reason. If you have a dog like I did at one time, They will eat anything and rub around in the worst stuff they can find. Not a good comparision,but u get the idea. Hunt them and hunt them hard because they will never go away and will give no excuses when killing your personal animals or attacking a human. If you get one,have a local trapper on stand by and let him have it. It will help his family out and you might start up a new friendship. Besides,if you need to get away from your woman, what better excuse than, Honey,gotta go get those coyotes at the farm. Just don't come back drunk or she'll start to catch on :D))) Happy hunting

Everything needs some form of control. Let's face it other than disease and human predation, the coyote is at the top of its food chain and really has no other controlling species to contain their numbers. I really don't like disease to be the population containment system. It's Mother Natures method, but it can be a pretty ugly way to go in the wild. So, as hunters, I think we have some level of responsibility to do our part. Besides, the challenge is tremendous.

What you do with the hide is a personal matter, but I really prefer to put it to some use (not that I get piles and piles of them ....lol). Also, I know there are people who will use it even if you do not want to. However, I wouldn't get too hung-up about somebody just letting the carcass lay. We don't worry about rat carcasses if we go the dump to shoot them. I never heard anybody get all excited about woodchuck remains, or crows, etc., etc. I'm not really sure why people get all bent out of shape about a coyote being shot and left. It must be the "doggy" thing ..... lol.

Doc,

Well put. Thank you. Coyotes are at the top of the food change...Unless we introduce wolves into the area. Then the coyotes will be one step below and then all the deer will be gone. As you say, lets not get all bent out of shape. Keep the comments rolling...

If you are hunting them to irradicate the species,dont bother.

Hunting coyotes makes more coyotes...it's a fact.

Yes, I have heard that statement before, even though it absolutely defies logic. I have never seen the study that supposedly proves that theory, and I believe that where I first saw that stated was in a newspaper letter to the editor written by a clearly anti-hunting person who was appalled at the local coyote hunting contest.... :;) . However, I keep an open mind on the subject and if someone can show me a credible study that actually proves that "hunting coyotes makes more coyotes", I am willing to listen.

Doc

The coyote problem is actually the final push that got me into hunting (plus six years of going to school in Michigan where almost everyone hunts).

I walk my dog at night and on a few occasions, spotted a coyote.  Keep in mind, I live in NYC.  I had also read newspaper stories of coyotes attacking children in the suburbs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38015001/ns/us_news-life/

So I started reading reports on coyotes.  Turns out, they have become so over populated, that they are being pushed further and further into the suburbs and even into Central Park in Manhattan.  Coyotes had also adapted to suburban life by attacking house hold pets and going through trash.  The reports were actually encouraging the taking of coyotes to keep their numbers in check.

Doc, I do not know where I heard it or if it was a theory or what, but somewhere I read that 75% of the population would have to be taken every year to maintain population.

Have you heard this before?

Yes that sounds something like  number that I have heard. That actually sounds like a number that could be mathmatically arrived at and probably has some credibility. The question is just how many coyotes would humans have to harvest in conjunction with natural deaths to reach that 75% and stabilize or even decrease the population.

Absolutely true... the structure of the pack acually keeps things balanced.. take out the alfa male and female and thats when the $hi+ starts happening

As long as we're doing math.. tell me how a population of 20,000 - 30,000 coyotes can have any affect on a deer population of over 1,000,000... although I'm sure there are exceptions because of different coyote/deer ratios in different locations but over all... I think people make way to much out of the whole coyote - deer thing. I do think they can altering a deer's normal traveling habits if the deer feel more threatened and there is some fawn kill but there are not enough coyotes statewide to cause the kind of damage guys tal about

Absolutely true... the structure of the pack acually keeps things balanced.. take out the alfa male and female and thats when the $hi+ starts happening

Well, I am still having a problem with a theory that says that killing coyotes makes more coyotes. Perhaps there is something to the "pack dynamics" theory ...... perhaps. However, that assumes that all coyotes travel in an organized packs. That's abolutely not the case in our area at least. Coyotes around here actually occur as singles or doubles (thankfully). So if I shoot one or two, that generally means that there are one or two less. It's hard to imagine that shooting those one or two causes all the coyotes throughout the area to breed more to make up for the loss....lol. I would really like to read this phantom "study" some day and really understand exactly what they are actually trying to say. For all I know this may be some paper written up by the animal rights wackos to remove credibility of the population control reasons for hunting them.

Doc, I do not know where I heard it or if it was a theory or what, but somewhere I read that 75% of the population would have to be taken every year to maintain population.

Have you heard this before?

Yes that sounds something like  number that I have heard. That actually sounds like a number that could be mathmatically arrived at and probably has some credibility. The question is just how many coyotes would humans have to harvest in conjunction with natural deaths to reach that 75% and stabilize or even decrease the population.

Coyote mortaliy is alot higher than people would think....

Coyotes can often live six to eight years in the wild. Various forms of natural mortality include disease, predation, and starvation. However, hunting, trapping, and vehicle collisions are common causes of coyote mortality. Approximately 50 70% of juvenile coyotes do not reach adulthood. Annual adult mortality averages 30 50%. Coyotes can compensate for severe reductions in population numbers by breeding at younger ages and by having larger litters.

Yes there are rogue coyotes.. usually male... they are shoved out of other packs by the alfa male as they get older. They will look for a pack that they can take over from an older or weeak  alfa male. The tight pack structure keeps these young horny males from being able to breed every female in sight.