Any idea wth this is for ?

It sure is heavy duty and made for something with substantial weight, looks like a giant version of a skinning gambrel. The needle in the middle looks to be there to help making sure the weight is evenly distributed on both sides.

Al

38 minutes ago, airedale said:

It sure is heavy duty and made for something with substantial weight, looks like a giant version of a skinning gambrel. The needle in the middle looks to be there to help making sure the weight is evenly distributed on both sides.

Al

I’m thinking it’s a balance beam maybe used in a foundry or something 

I once saw something similar at an old feed store.  You would hang a feed sack of known weight on one side by the hook and load an empty sack with the same feed on the other side until it balanced.  That way each sack would hold the same amount of feed after being loaded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

I once saw something similar at an old feed store.  You would hang a feed sack of known weight on one side by the hook and load an empty sack with the same feed on the other side until it balanced.  That way each sack would hold the same amount of feed after being loaded.

Yea but man this thing is heavy duty .

seems way overkill for a 100 pound bag of feed ,,,