Biz-R-OWorld (2014 New York Deer)

BizCT

I'm not going to second guess anyone, and really don't want to use this thread to bring it up, but here it goes.........unless you start to butcher the animal and smell what the meat is like when you do so, it's hard to make the decision that it's bad based on just smelling the body cavity...and that very well may have been what happened, but just thought I'd throw it out there....with that being said, I give your Dad a lot of credit for breaking his ass finding it and bringing it home....this in no way was directed at him, just a general observation.

Edited by jjb4900

I'm not going to second guess anyone, and really don't want to use this thread to bring it up, but here it goes.........unless you start to butcher the animal and smell what the meat is like when you do so, it's hard to make the decision that it's bad based on just smelling the body cavity...and that very well may have been what happened, but just thought I'd throw it out there....with that being said, I give your Dad a lot of credit for breaking his ass finding it and bringing it home....this in no way was directed at him, just a general observation.

Just to clarify, my Dad did not make this decision. He knew it smelled a little funny, but is no expert. He brought to the butcher we always use.  It was there, that the decision was made by the butchers. From what I was told, the butchers started pulling some hair and looked it over pretty good before making the determination.

Just to clarify, my Dad did not make this decision. He knew it smelled a little funny, but is no expert. He brought to the butcher we always use.  It was there, that the decision was made by the butchers. From what I was told, the butchers started pulling some hair and looked it over pretty good before making the determination.

no worries he did more than most may have done....I butcher my own and have had some that probably wouldn't pass the sniff test....especially if you guys donate the meat, he doesn't need any problems and is probably a little more cautious.

Edited by jjb4900

You guys don't enjoy deer meat?

No ambition to make jerky?? Burgers??

We used to pay the $80-$90 for the entire deer butchered, but just don't care for the hamburger meat, etc.  Now we just get it butchered for free (keep the backstraps, steaks, etc.) and donate the rest.

no worries he did more than most may have done....I butcher my own and have had some that probably wouldn't pass the sniff test....especially if you guys donate the meat, he doesn't need any problems and is probably a little more cautious.

I hear ya. He is no expert on deer meat, especially since we don't butcher ourselves and usually just eat the backstraps. He wasn't going to disagree with the guy. There was no shadiness, as my Dad helped the guy dump the entire carcass into a dumpster, so its not like anyone was trying to steal meat or anything like that. My Dad knows the guys on a personal level as he has used him for over 20 years.

11/26: I left work at 2:30pm and it was just raining in New York City. Got home in Westchester around 330pm to a few inches on the ground. Decided to make the trek to up to my Parents house in Putnam County 3N so I can hunt tomorrow. Gotta love All wheel drive, worked great and breezed up the Taconic. About 5" here already and another 3-5" coming and ending around 1-2am. Hoping tomorrow is the day a bigger buck makes a mistake. I will be hunting till 10am.

Got a few more pics off my Dads camera, including the blood from the day he shot it which was completely gone by the next day because of the heavy rain.

post-871-14170411653916_thumb.jpg

post-871-1417041174009_thumb.jpg

post-871-14170411819941_thumb.jpg

Now I definitely feel confident this is the same deer we have a few from all summer and as recently as a few weeks ago

post-871-14170412217754_thumb.jpg

post-871-14170412324625_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Still beats work!

The only work I'm doing today is sam Adams winter lager, macmurray Pinot noir, and a lot of food lol. I'll be back at it tomorrow after oon

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

11/29: hunted dark to dark and saw nothing. So no deer the last 3 days since the snow. They must be eating elsewhere. Coyotes probably don't help. Cams had coyote pics again, most during midday hours. This is the first year I ever got coyote pics on cams and I got them recently almost every day on different cams. I'm done for the season. 2 years in a row I passed up smaller bucks waiting for one of the bigger ones I had pics of but it didn't happen. Saw the 8pt I was after during xbow but was before legal light. I think next year I will take the first legal buck with the xbow and still hold out with the gun. Also will try hard again to get some land access elsewhere in NY or CT. Of course my dad saw a nice fox today at 330pm. Coulda been my first red, oh well not my year. He passed it up not wanting to shoot and spook anything for me. We will probably try calling in a few weeks for these yotes and fox.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, 12/13/53

Cool, any plans for the evening with him?

We are going over to his house for a shin dig........nothing fancy just pizza & wings.  He just wants EVERYBODY to be there, my brother and sister, our spouses and all the grandchildren.  

This is what he did LAST Saturday.......................

image_zps007cf261.jpg

Pretty neat deal!  I shot a buck in the morning and he killed this one around 4:10pm.  I heard 4 shots and thought we were going to have rodeo on our hands!!  No, he just got excited.  The buck folded on the first shot then flopped around a little so he figured he'd keep shooting!  Thankfully he only hit him one more time and that was in a front leg.  :)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

I was supposed to hunt with him this morning but I've been so swamped at work, so I slept in. I will probably see him tomorrow since him and my mom are going to dinner with friends tonight.

Nice buck, only time my dad and killed bucks the same day was this year in Wyoming. Definitely a cool deal to get bucks the same day

I should add that the gun in the picture is for sale or will soon be..........it is a Weatherby Mark 5 Deluxe 30-06.  It sports a Leupold 3-9 scope.  The gun is circa 1977 or 78 and the scope is from the early 70's. Buehler mounts.

That'd be a nice addition to your gun cabinet............ :)