Bear Hunting...

josephmrtn

Hoping to try bear hunting sometime within the next 2 weeks... any tips/tricks? besides dont get eaten lol :) the property im gonna hunt is known for having good numbers of bear and is a several hundred acre tract back in the middle of swamps/big woods, planning on getting my trail cam out there sometime this week, are there any (legal) forms of bait i can use to pull them in to the camera? Oh and would it be a good idea to try with a bow or should i stick to 180grain 308 bullets? :)

Hoping to try bear hunting sometime within the next 2 weeks... any tips/tricks? besides dont get eaten lol :) the property im gonna hunt is known for having good numbers of bear and is a several hundred acre tract back in the middle of swamps/big woods, planning on getting my trail cam out there sometime this week, are there any (legal) forms of bait i can use to pull them in to the camera? Oh and would it be a good idea to try with a bow or should i stick to 180grain 308 bullets? :)

With only a BB under your belt for any kind of animals harvest with a bow i would stick to the rifle. Not a slam but i believe if you have a 300lbs bear looking at you sideways and all you have is a stick and string in your hand you may need a shorts change at the least.

Take the gun and know you can handle pretty much any encounter you may get lucky enough to get.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 1

Bears are complete sissies, there's no danger in hunting them. I've taken two with a bow both died inside of thirty yards. Worst that will happen in an encounter is it might pop its teeth at you but it won't attack

+1.  Not many deaths from black bears in the world, let alone the Northeast. Then break that number down to people who were actually hunting and your not left with much at all.

Bears are complete sissies, there's no danger in hunting them. I've taken two with a bow both died inside of thirty yards. Worst that will happen in an encounter is it might pop its teeth at you but it won't attack

gut shoot one and follow it into a swamp with a bow in hand. I agree their natural instinct is to avoid us at all cost. Personally I believe all bets are off when they are wounded.

gut shoot one and follow it into a swamp with a bow in hand. I agree their natural instinct is to avoid us at all cost. Personally I believe all bets are off when they are wounded.

I dont disagree with you but its not something Id get too worried about and not hunt them. Give a marginal shot 8 hours and youre not following a live bear or you will never catch up to it. They dont bed like a deer, they go forever when wounded

• Like 1

scents are the only legal baits for bear in NY. I would have to look it up but I think you can only use 1.5 ounces of liquid sent. The fish would be illegal baiting.

I think that's accurate....I was wondering if burns are legal, some places boil honey or other attractants to bring them in, and when you think about it, you're not dumping anything on the ground for them to eat, and you're taking it out with you when you leave.

Well here is one for you. A friend ( was around 18 at the time) and in good shape. He was with his uncle deer hunting on the side of a large hill. His uncle said to watch out because the bears like to hang out in the area.As he got near the top he walked past a sleeping bear which woke up and started to chase him down the hill. He had all he could do to stay ahead of the bear,he got down to the bottom and got into his uncles car , the bear started to brake the windows in the car, he reached into the glove box and pulled out his uncles pistol and put 6 rounds into the bear which died out side of the car.They got a hold of an Econ officer who gave them a permit for it and said it was around 500 pounds. No BS true story.

I think that's accurate....I was wondering if burns are legal, some places boil honey or other attractants to bring them in, and when you think about it, you're not dumping anything on the ground for them to eat, and you're taking it out with you when you leave.

Honey burns are legal.  1.5 ounces.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

I dont disagree with you but its not something Id get too worried about and not hunt them. Give a marginal shot 8 hours and youre not following a live bear or you will never catch up to it. They dont bed like a deer, they go forever when wounded

check out his story from this year in Minnesota.

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/2014/09/29/hunter-fights-off-525-pound-bear-with-knife/16411473/

and I don't know if arrow shot bears are any different than gun shot ones but I can tell you from personal experience they DO lay down when wounded.

on one of the ears, IA buddy and I  followed a bear a he y wounded into a thick cedar swamp in Canada. Now we had guns, but since visibility was about 3 feet I can tell you the pucker factor was about 150 on a scale of 1 to 10. It was a 200 yard track and took a good 4 hours. liver hit and that fat was like a cork in a bottle.

I wouldn't hesitate shooting one again with a bow or a gun, but I can tell you, if gun is open there WILL be a gun on the tracking of it.  

I used a bow 2 yrs ago in Maine but didn't get a shot off. This year used a 7mm put a nice hole in 205lb dressed out bear. My father used his 7mm shot a 464lb bear. But it look like .22 hole in it. Bear didn't run more then 15yds. Good luck getting a bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell that to the parents of darsh patel. Young kid that was killed by a black bear a couple towns away from me. I agree it's rare but it does happen