2014/15 trapping harvest thread

Kludes

I don't mean any disrespect.  But, those prices seem very low for all the time and effort involved.  Is their any profit in trapping?

I bet you would be hard pressed to turn a profit at those numbers, especially if you had to drive to you lines. Put in any value for your time and probably even worse. I think it would be more of just a past time they love and really enjoy. Kinda like my wife telling me the venison should be skipped and just buy prime beef to save money...lol

• Like 1

I don't mean any disrespect.  But, those prices seem very low for all the time and effort involved.  Is their any profit in trapping?

No different than deer hunting or any other hunting or hobby. Everyone puts time in. For me , I run a line to and from work, so it is not really out of my way.

Yup years Like these thin out the people in it for the money I do it because it's my #1 hobby I have a love for it and I love out smarting canines .. any money made on years like these I put half towards gear and lures/traps and half towards my reward for my work whatever it may be ...trapping is not for the weak at heart or mind

• Like 1

Some of that might depend on what stage of earning power you are at. I ran a trap-line when I was in school. It bought me clothes, equipment, and other goodies that I wanted. Basically, if I wanted to buy anything at all, the trap-line along with summer farm-work was the only way to do that. My grandfather started me off with the traps, and I took it from there. It is a different story today with the abundance of money, but back then an awful lot of school kids had trap-lines.

Also, I know  few people who are financially disadvantaged for any of a number of reasons that look at that relatively small amount of money earned by trapping as the opportunity for adding a little disposable income to their financial situation. 

But I would guess that today the fur prices are sufficient for funding and maintaining a trapping hobby for most of the trappers.