iceeee

monkeyman2269

If you can wade in the water your weight might just do the trick. If not then we've always used a sledge hammer to bust it then we slide the broken off pieces under the ice thats still there. Give them a good shove and theyll just keep sliding and get right out of your way.

We have used chain saws and sledge hammers. Two other things I might suggest are a long pole with some sort of sharp metal point to push the ice chunks under as was said earlier. We also used to take our equipment out on the ice with our decoys in a canoe. slides easily and even if there is snow getting to the spot it makes a great sled. It does two other important things. Allows easy access into the water to pick up the decoys if you have to and should someone go though it makes one of the best rescue tools. We have done this ice fishing first ice years ago, but I don't go out unless there is 6" of good ice now.

Good luck.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I couldn't tell you exactly how much, we don't typically get a real hard freeze while we're still hunting ducks here. But I would think 3 inches wouldn't be too much of a problem with a good size sledge. Once you get a good crack the rest comes easier.

Edited by Twax10