Screw in steps

faust1578

Holy crap! That's insane wow I guess you can't even screw in a bowhanger!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nah, that's .   He doesn't know what he's talking about.  Fines for misdemeanors in NY are capped at $1000 so how can he claim that they start at $1500?

Anywhoo - this is the actual penalty:

Fine: zero to $250

Imprisonment:  zero to 15 days

Civil Penalty: $10 to $100

So the max you're looking at is $350 and 15 days in jail.    No judge in their right mind will send someone to jail for a first time misdemeanor like that.   Also, they don't usually give the max fine either.   For a first time offender who is apologetic, I would say $150 including court costs.

(Citation: McKinney's ECL § 71-0101 to 71-0927)

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
cleaned up language. Please stick to the forum TOS
  • Like 1

Not trying to stir things up here, but I have an issue with the original question...If you know using screw in steps is illegal on state land, why even consider it. It really doesn't matter if "hunters do it all over the place", or "i'm OK killing animals, but not harm trees". 

My question is, if your willing to ignore this law on public land, what others are you willing to ignore? I don't mean to embarrass you, or call you out, but this kind of thinking is what can, (and does), give hunters a bad reputation. 

There is a reason for the law...even if you don't understand or agree with it.

You are trying to stir things up.  Why start off with denying it, when you're clearly not answering the original question or staying on topic?   It must be nice to walk around with your holier than thou attitude, looking down at all the sinners.  

Have you ever seen a sign that said 55 miles per hour?   Did you ever drive, maybe 60 miles per hour, past a sign like that?  Let me ask you a question, if you're willing to ignore this law on the public highway, what others are you willing to ignore?   How many dead prostitutes in your shed, boyo?   

A law isn't "You can't do that".   A law is "You do that and this will happen".   He's trying to figure out what will happen.   Your comments aren't constructive at all.
  • Like 1

You are trying to stir things up.  Why start off with denying it, when you're clearly not answering the original question or staying on topic?   It must be nice to walk around with your holier than thou attitude, looking down at all the sinners.  

Have you ever seen a sign that said 55 miles per hour?   Did you ever drive, maybe 60 miles per hour, past a sign like that?  Let me ask you a question, if you're willing to ignore this law on the public highway, what others are you willing to ignore?   How many dead prostitutes in your shed, boyo?   

A law isn't "You can't do that".   A law is "You do that and this will happen".   He's trying to figure out what will happen.   Your comments aren't constructive at all.

so laws only set the fees for certain activities and don't say you can't do them?.................that's a pretty interesting interpretation.

You are trying to stir things up. Why start off with denying it, when you're clearly not answering the original question or staying on topic? It must be nice to walk around with your holier than thou attitude, looking down at all the sinners.

Have you ever seen a sign that said 55 miles per hour? Did you ever drive, maybe 60 miles per hour, past a sign like that? Let me ask you a question, if you're willing to ignore this law on the public highway, what others are you willing to ignore? How many dead prostitutes in your shed, boyo?

A law isn't "You can't do that". A law is "You do that and this will happen". He's trying to figure out what will happen. Your comments aren't constructive at all.

Thank you Sir! That's all I needed to know. Finally someone with the answer!

You and Faust are the worst kind of "sportsman"......In your world simply figure out which game laws you feel like breaking and if the fine is low enough, than go for it.

My problem is less with the actual ignoring of a law, and much more with the perception issue we have as hunters. If you and others simply do whatever the f*ck you want, that reflects on me and others who have respect for the hunting way of life.

I, unlike you, don't use prostitutes, so a comparison of how many are in your shed won't reveal much about me. boyo...(whatever that is) 

Edited by malesi1
  • Like 1

FYI , just heard back from a State Ranger I know. For screwing anything in a tree on State land. (cut/remove/injure a tree) is a Misdemeanor and the fine STARTS at $1,500. Can buy a ton of climbing sticks for that price.

I have to imagine nobody pays that though. Whens the last time you paid full price for a speeding ticket?

You and Faust are the worst kind of "sportsman"......In your world simply figure out which game laws you feel like breaking and if the fine is low enough, than go for it.

My problem is less with the actual ignoring of a law, and much more with the perception issue we have as hunters. If you and others simply do whatever the f*ck you want, that reflects on me and others who have respect for the hunting way of life.

I, unlike you, don't use prostitutes, so a comparison of how many are in your shed won't reveal much about me. boyo...(whatever that is) 

for what it's worth, I don't believe damaging a tree on public land is a game law. Any joker can go into a forest and be fined for doing it. It is proven screw ins don't hurt trees, just their timber value and it's not illegal to do anywhere other than public land that doesn't allow it. I've trimmed a few small limbs and approach trails on some national forest. Nothing my hand pruner couldn't handle. Lock me up I guess. :scare:  I don't condone illegal activities, especially by hunters, but I don't see the issue with answering the guys question. Bashing him accomplishes nothing.

for what it's worth, I don't believe damaging a tree on public land is a game law. Any joker can go into a forest and be fined for doing it. It is proven screw ins don't hurt trees, just their timber value and it's not illegal to do anywhere other than public land that doesn't allow it. I've trimmed a few small limbs and approach trails on some national forest. Nothing my hand pruner couldn't handle. Lock me up I guess. :scare:  I don't condone illegal activities, especially by hunters, but I don't see the issue with answering the guys question. Bashing him accomplishes nothing.

It is covered under the Environment Conservation Law.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

Soooo , what answer has been deemed acceptable so far ? I bet it would only take a call to the DEC or Forestry Service to find out what the fine / penalty would be .

That is who I talked to Eddie, but apparently I am full of it. Personally, carry in a chainsaw, cut some nice wide shooting lanes, screw in steps, marking paint to mark you trail and a pocket full of Emerald ash borers. On the way out dig a few spruce to take home for the yard. It really isn't that important to me. lol.

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
  • Like 3