Leaving your climber on a tree???

longislandhunter

Assuming it would NOT be stolen, has anybody here ever used there climber kind of like a lock on stand and left it in the woods.  I mean have you ever put the climber up and then left it there and just used screw in steps to get too it.  Is it too dangerous??  I know this may seem like a dumb question but i have always hunted on the ground and I am just starting to use treestands.

i have a heavy one that i bought from dicks i cable lock to the tree.If the wind is right for the afternoon or next day in that tree, i will loock it to the base with the cable lock.If some one wants to steal it they have to come back with something to cut it.If you are going to use screw in steps get a nice lock on or get climbiing sticks instead.All you have to do is move the sticks from tree to tree and can use multiple lock ons..That is the luxery of climbers tho.If you know the land you have a good climber you can hunt more freely.A few lock-ons is nice for certian trees that are in great spots and have no straght branchless trees.Like a big oak with a lott of limbs that you can blend in with nicely.

I have left some of my climber tree stands in the woods for years. I have a couple of the older metal ones work good to scout and can move them wuick if the deer patterns have changed. What I did was got some odd size bolts to fasten the climber together, so unless you bring wrenches or 2 sets of vice grips you can not get my stand unhooked.

I have one big old heavy climber I use as a lok on. it is a bear to climb with and I don't like it. I got it into position and used a ratchet strap at the base to pull it to the tree. It is solid as a rock and very safe and easy to get into and out of from my climbing sticks. Like any stand......fall protection system...ALWAYS.

I don't think this is what you are talking about but sometimes I'll set my climber up at the bottom of a tree the night before a hunt.  I do this so I can get in quiet and get up quick without much of a hassle.

You can attach a climber to a tree with ratchet straps just like you would a hang on.  Hang ons are much cheaper though so it might be better to just get a hang on and some sticks.

I leave my climber at the base of trees for a few days at a time if i know i will be returning to that spot. the deer dont seem to mind it being there i have even seen a deer walk right up to it and sniff the climber while i was sitting in another stand 120 yards away.