Archery season in 1C may be extended to January

incognito

The DEC has not made or announced its decision, but there is a possibility that the bowhunting season will be extended to the end of January in Region 1C. I did not inquire about other regions.

I just spoke with the DEC located at the Ridge check station (631 924-3156), an announcement extending the season is expected to be made in mid December.

Edited by incognito

Probably because not enough does were taken yet.

I participate in the Southold town deer management assistance program. I stopped by the town office yesterday. They had a big stack of doe tags available to be issued, as did the recreation center where they accept venison donations.

I would think you will be able to bow hunt on weekends only. Gun hunting during the month of Jan during the week. 

I am not sure that I would make that assumption.

There are lots of places on Long Island where only archery hunting is permitted, especially now that the setback for archery was reduced to 150 feet.

There is no reason not to permit bowhunting in those areas on weekdays.

Edited by incognito

I've been hearing about this for a while. I personally have had enough after 3 full months. I also hate hearing how somebody thought they shot a doe in January, and it was a shed buck. But, the population needs to be controlled.

Can I legally use a deer management anterless tag on a shed buck?

Edited by incognito

I am not sure that I would make that assumption.

There are lots of places on Long Island where only archery hunting is permitted, especially now that the setback for archery was reduced to 150 feet.

There is no reason not to permit bowhunting in those areas on weekdays.

I agree 100% but that is the rumor.

I agree 100% but that is the rumor.

The way I was informed about the possible extension made me think it was a done deal without differentiating between weekends and weekdays.

That is why I called the DEC today after searching for confirmation online and scouring the NY Hunting and Trapping handbook.

If I understand correctly, I need written permission from the landowner to participate in the special firearms season and only one shotgun hunter is permitted per 10 acres. I can envision a scenario where a landowner may elect to not to grant permission to fewer shotgun hunters in favor of more archers per acre and on parcels of less than 10 acres - which there are more of eligible for hunting as a result of the setback reduction to 150'.

The way I was informed about the possible extension made me think it was a done deal without differentiating between weekends and weekdays.

That is why I called the DEC today after searching for confirmation online and scouring the NY Hunting and Trapping handbook.

If I understand correctly, I need written permission from the landowner to participate in the special firearms season and only one shotgun hunter is permitted per 10 acres. I can envision a scenario where a landowner may elect to not to grant permission to fewer shotgun hunters in favor of more archers per acre and on parcels of less than 10 acres - which there are more of eligible for hunting as a result of the setback reduction to 150'.

Don't get your hopes up there. This is Long Island. Then again everyone does what they want anyway….lol :)

I've been hearing about this for a while. I personally have had enough after 3 full months. I also hate hearing how somebody thought they shot a doe in January, and it was a shed buck. But, the population needs to be controlled.

This is a good way to prevent hunters from SELECTING  for bucks, which does little to control population, and actually causes a temporary increase in deer numbers. Temporary meaning several years... Maybe semi-permanent is a better word. Earn-A-Buck is in NY's future... But, what do I know, right?

It's amazing how many guys are saying they extended the season for bow and you can hunt on weekends with gun. 

I can't find one piece of evidence to back this up. Where are hunters getting there info from?? Its like that old fish tale that gets bigger and bigger as its passed along. Hope it happens but I don't see it officially announced.

• Like 1

On the flip side, if they were extending it for the reason of using hunters to take more deer, you would think they'd want to get the information out to hunters.

I don't do the shotgun season so if the extension does not happen I am done dec 31. For the sake of making plans for the next 2 weekends I really would like to know now what the decision will be.