WHY?

wildcat junkie

Couldn't we have gotten this a week ago? (picture taken out of my kitchen/deck doors this morning)

001_zpsd7c613d5.jpg

The cedars & hemlocks at the back end of my property would be swarming with deer after this much snow covered up all the acorns & left over corn.

My son might have been able to connect with his grandpa's 30/40 Krag.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Yeah! We had the first significant snow just yesterday and last night. Then again, I didn't see a single track on my camera hike this AM.

BTW, great looking spot. And a 30-40 Krag will definitely put a deer down, lol.

Give a while. If you don't have lots of browse & or conifers in the area, the deer may migrate to an area that does.

When we had 2-3" of crusty snow a few weeks back, I saw 5 different deer, 3 singles & 1 pair, in my woods in the 2 hours before sunset one evening. All were moving naturaly feeding. That's pretty good for my woods. There are no crop fields within 1/2 mile or more.

Of the approximately 40 wooded acres, there is a 15 acre area near the center that was selectively harvested in the winter of '98/'99 They took almost 300K board feet of white pines that averaged about 29" at the stump.  Lots of small 2nd growth pine mature maples & browse surrounded by cedars & hemlocks with some small patches of oaks here & there.

It doesn't have a large number of resident deer until the snow covers up the mast & left over corn around the area. During hard winters they yard up in the cedars in late December. Damned deer walk in my XC ski tracks. Lazy bastards.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Lookalike a nice duck spot

I watched the only Canvasback I have ever seen in my life fly up the river across the same scene in the picture.

I'm losing track of how many Bald eagles I have seen over the years.

I got a picture of one just around the corner a few years back.

BaldEagleonMahoneyRd2-23-061.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

And a 30-40 Krag will definitely put a deer down, lol.

I'm working on restoring it to similar/slightly improved condition to what it was in 1958 when my Dad bought it from his best friend in 1958. I was able to get it to this condition so Josh could hunt with it this year. It really got him fired up.

005_zpsb23ee845.jpg

And yeah, it's some pretty potent Whiletail medicine.

007_zps8be40a09.jpg

100_zpsdfd36383.jpg

• Like 1

Great view!  You know what's peculiar...  The beginning of every bow season, especially rut I'm watching weather channel and local news.  I'm tracking fronts and wind and etc.  I say "YES", cold front and snow headed my way.  Time to get in woods.  Although I do prefer these conditions to hunt, it is becoming less significant.  I don't know.  I see a lot of deer early season when temps are warmer and it's a clear day.  I actually remember being at work and saying to another hunter, we might as well have comfortable weather to hunt in if we're not going to see much in the miserable weather.  Any thoughts?

Great view!  You know what's peculiar...  The beginning of every bow season, especially rut I'm watching weather channel and local news.  I'm tracking fronts and wind and etc.  I say "YES", cold front and snow headed my way.  Time to get in woods.  Although I do prefer these conditions to hunt, it is becoming less significant.  I don't know.  I see a lot of deer early season when temps are warmer and it's a clear day.  I actually remember being at work and saying to another hunter, we might as well have comfortable weather to hunt in if we're not going to see much in the miserable weather.  Any thoughts?

They claim deer can sense barometric changes. I seem to see more during those times. I see the most movement following a few days of bad weather right after & for several hours after it breaks.

They don't like nasty conditions any better than you or I & they will go on the feed when they sense bad weather coming.

The evening I saw the 5 deer was the 1st evening after the snow, it was pretty windy, but then at ground level the cedars/hemlocks & thick brush block a lot the wind that I feel 15' up at rhe end of a 250 yard wind tunnel.

My son didn't hunt that day. He works until noon on Saturdays. The following day I only saw 2 deer & he jumped one I was watching on his way out. I got to watch it unfold. That was the only deer he saw. if he had hunted the day before, 3 of the deer I saw would have been about 35yds up/crosswind of his favorite ladder stand, "the penthouse". The way one of them acted, I think there had been a buck in the immediate area too.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Wildcat, Yep I agree just seems frustrating.  When you think you have them patterned or figured out you can go and throw it out the window.  The most intriguing animal...

Where do you hunt?

Well it works both ways. I had a BIG 4-point that was the dominant buck on my place. He had me pattered & gave me the slip for 3 easosn until I did something unusual & he slipped up.

4 1/2 years old & he weighed 219# dressed.

Never saw a decent "rack buck" on my place until I killed him. I've taken four 8-points since then, 2 of them pretty nice, but none have weighed as much as that big 4-point.

Edited by wildcat junkie