First shed buck of the season = injured?

WNY Bowhunter

This guy showed up on a couple of my cameras friday evening. It appears that he was shot right above the shoulders?

zIMAG0066.jpg

Based on the shape of his face and ears...I'm 95% certain that this deer is a cool looking 2.5 year old buck that I watched all summer...

zIMAG0420.jpg

I ended up getting about 30 pics and he doesn't seem to be any more run down looking than the other deer, but I'm betting that the injury has caused him enough stress to drop his antlers early. I'm really hoping that he will make it through the winter...

zIMAG0050.jpg

zIMAG0052.jpg

zIMAG0064-1.jpg

zIMAG0068.jpg

The only thing that shot was below was the hair line... Definitely above the spine... by several inches. I bet he makes it. He looks to be in good condition otherwise. Maybe he'll sprout some NT points next year as a result? He already had awesome brows for starters.

• Like 1

In the picture with the antlers there appears to be a little notch in the ear that I do not see in the other pictures. Could just be the angle

I also noted the notches in the ear but the new pics are fuzzy and the deer have "furrier" ears in the winter than in early sept. when the antlers pics were taken and these small notches could easily be cover up...

The only thing that shot was below was the hair line... Definitely above the spine... by several inches. I bet he makes it. He looks to be in good condition otherwise. Maybe he'll sprout some NT points next year as a result? He already had awesome brows for starters.

I'm really hoping he'll stay a big mainframe 6-pt...

• Like 1

Good point on the heavier coat in the winter. That may be the difference... The rest of the facial features are an exact match..

I always start with the ears, as that often seems to be the best way to differentiate them..

Edited by t_barb

Good point on the heavier coat in the winter. That may be the difference... The rest of the facial features are an exact match..

I always start with the ears, as that often seems to be the best way to differentiate them..

I agree, the ears are one of the best features to identify individual deer.