Do you have multiple tree stands depending on the wind?

TheHunter

Do you have multiple tree stands depending on the wind? I don't yet, however this year I'd like to put a few more up so I have some options.  But since I am surrounded by trails, deer come from all ways every day, so not sure if it would really matter?

Holy crap. Hard core there fast eddie!  How the heck do you choose where to hunt?

It's not easy .One property is in Italy Valley south of Potter . It's pretty hilly and somewhat remote . I don't hunt there very often and didn't hunt it at all last year .

I have 2 stands in Ontario and 1 in Walworth . If I need to hunt close by and the weather forecast doesn't look good , I sometimes use one of these stands .

I have one stand on a property in South Bristol very close to the lake . I have taken a few deer from there . I have seen some big bucks there but never shot one of them . I passed on a 6 pt & 4 pt last bow season with the hopes of seeing one of the Big Boys but it never happened . Lucky my legs are short . I wanted to kick myself in the a$$ but couldn't reach it .

I hunt my sister in laws property in Geneseo (69 acres) . It's a 50+ mile drive . When I hunt there , I get there when it's dark and leave when it starts to get dark . I change stands depending on the sun and wind . I have had pretty good luck there over the years . I don't hunt there 2 days in a row as by the time I leave the stand in the evening , I am whipped . These old bones need rest !

I have 2 stands in Groveland on my mother's property . I have permission to hunt the adjacent property but don't have a stand there .

Soooooo , depending on the weather and how much time I have determines where I can hunt . Oh yeah , I have a couple places in the Pittsford / Mendon area where I can hunt . Life is GOOD !

Whenever I can, I have two stands located at every hunting site. They are arranged for different wind directions and may or may not be located right near each other. I kind of made that a standard practice quite a few years ago after having it proved to me that meteorologists are the only people who get paid for being wrong. When it comes to wind direction, they are wrong more often than not. It's not always their fault. When you hunt hill & valley country, you get used to wind doing the opposite of what the prevailing area winds are. Between the thermals and just the way the hills and valleys duct the wind around, the weatherman's opinion doesn't really mean a lot. For example, in our valley like most north-south valleys, you get three wind directions .... north south and circling. When ever you get a west wind (most of the time) or one of those more rare east winds, it all depends on whether there is any north or south component to it as to whether it will be converted into a north or south wind. So, I have to be prepared for unexpected wind directions. Two stands usually does the job.

Doc

I have only one stand at this time. If the wind changes direction I just turn into the wind. I hunt it all year long from the first day bow to the last day of rifle season. The deer come in from all directions, its almost like cattle. My stand it in the middle of an opening of a large swamp where there are 5 streams the  intersect at this point. It's like a natural border that the deer fallow right to me no matter what the wind is going.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 30...grouped in 2-4's.....most stands are here at home 73 acres and the rest are at camp...the guys have 5 stands at camp...they wont hunt out of my stands because they wont use harnesses  >;) ...and they won't hunt as high as I do....only my self..daughter and son bow hunt...I taught them...dad in- law goes out once in a while and Mr.B refuses to bow hunt...but he really doesn't gun hunt much either fishing is his thing