Glass for a 243 Win Mountian Rifle

eagle rider

Hey there fellas- been and on and off for a while, I hope everyone is doing well?  I'm setting up a 243 20" rifle (bolt action Savage 14) as a handy mountain deer and 'yote rifle.  I'm seriously thinking about a 2-7 x 32 MM Nikon Prostaff on it.  I really don't anticipate shooting past 100 yds with it in the field.  My other choice is a 2-7x 32 Leopold VX II (already own that one but it's being repaired by Leopold at the moment because I wasn't focusing).  Anyway, what do you think about the idea?   

Good to hear from you, Eagle..

The 2 x 7 x 32 is a good choice for a light, handy rifle..No point in ruining the handling qualities of a hunting rifle with a heavy, big objective scope. I have a 2 x 7 x 33 Burris on my Rem 700 Mountain rifle.

The Leupold is always a good choice..If something is wrong with it, they'll either fix it or replace it.

I have never owned a Nikon, but a couple of my buddies run them and are happy with them.

I have had no luck with Nikon stuff. I have had some of the Vortex scopes, and love them. Cant say enough good stuff about them. Google cameralandny for the best deals on them. I have had a Crossfire and now I have a Viper HX. The Crossfire was far better than any other inexpensive scope Ive used, and the Viper is just plain sweet. Ill be buying another one this year to replace an older Bushnell that I used on my ML this past season.

Oh, and dont forget Vortex's warranty. Lifetime transferrable.

• Like 1

Just ordered a new Leopold VIII 2.5 x 8 with the BC reticle for my 30-06 . Not cheap but looked threw an older one on a used rifle a few times and it is still nice and clear. 

I think that's a great piece of glass and a very good value for the money.

Own a couple.

Mind me asking why? I hate buyer remorse on a gun, especially when there's a legit reason.

Phade, the gun just isn't what I was expecting, accuracy wise. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with a thicker longer barrel for the 243, instead of a light weight mountain gun.

The 243 has a great BC and bullet sectional density that is great for long range shots. It's also a great versifier round for small game and big game, it's original intended purpose. But as of right now, I'm not confident in using it for small game out to 100 yards.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Phade, the gun just isn't what I was expecting, accuracy wise. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with a thicker longer barrel for the 243, instead of a light weight mountain gun.

The 243 has a great BC and bullet sectional density that is great for long range shots. It's also a great versifier round for small game and big game, it's original intended purpose. But as of right now, I'm not confident in using it for small game out to 100 yards.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Maybe sell it and get a weatherby 243 vanguard? You'll be comfortable out to 400yds in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why go halfway..? Get a Weatherby Mk V in .240 Weatherby Mag..

Isn't MORE of a good thing always BETTER ?

Kinda like dynamite...If one stick is GOOD, 3 or 4 sticks oughta be GREAT !!

Of course, but I meant if he really wanted to stick with a 243 at a reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

Geeze Pygmy, I thought you would recommend the leupold fixed 4x.  Wouldn't that be perfect for a shorter range mountain gun?

It would be for sure, but I'm learning not to recommend it anymore..

Nobody ever listens to me..

I'm going out in the garden and EAT WORMS...<<sigh>>...