Walking in the woods in the dark :)

TheHunter

last year walking out of my spot around dark my hot seat got hung up on a limb and smacked me in the arse as if someone was behind me I spun around and of course nobody was there....

You would have thought someone put a firecracker up my butt because I did double time back to the house :scare:

:rofl:

hahaha, that is funny sh!t

Scared of the animals, no. I have my knife on my belt and either a gun or bow. Im not scared of a Black Bear unarmed. They will turn and run, first site of a human. The other night I was coming out at dusk, and from less than 100 yards, I heard what sounded like atleast 3-5 Coyotes howling, yapping. it happened all of a sudden. I did start walking a little faster. lol. But I carry a little LED flashlite, when going to my spot in dark cause of idiot humans.

I see bears while hunting all the time. I saw five from my stand in 2 days of hunting last week. I would have to say unless you walk up and punt one of there cubs down a hill your pretty safe. All the bears I have run into in the woods except one have gone into overdrive to get away from me.One followd me through the woods for a while, bit he wasnt agressive, even a little playfull. I think he was just curious. I did have a pack of coyotes run up on me in the dark one time though and scared the crap out of me. They started snarling and barking at me before they high tailed it. One followed me a while and would bark everyonce in a while but he never got closer than 50 yrds. But all the other coyotes I have run into have turned inside out.

Edited by erussell

I don't worry about it much. Still have yet to run into a bear in the woods. Seen a couple driving around but never while hunting. I have ran into more than a couple up at my camp in the ADKs. Only time i ever got worried was from coming back from checking the waterline and ran into a cub (before mama). I moved a little quicker than normal then.

Came walking out of the pines one night on the tractor trail and when i crested the rise i saw a yote about the size of a German Shepard standing broad side at 45-50 yards. I knocked an arrow and got within about 30 yards and started to draw before he took off. We had a full moon and it was like walking around at grey light in the morning.

What really freaked me out was when i started my walk in one morning and must have jumped a rabbit to a fox. There was a bunch of rustling in the golden rod and briars then the most god awful scream you would care to hear at about 10 yards. I had goose bumps for a bout an hour.

Earlier this season while looking for a deer i had an owl scream (not hoot). After freezing for a minute it started hooting but it was enough for me to think things over.

I always have a head lamp on my head (but not usually on). But its close enough if I want to take a quick look at something its no big deal to flip it on quick and have a look around.

Edited by 5.9cummins

I like what Doc said. Watching The Exorcist the night before will make you think twice about the dark! LOL! I have hunted bear country a lot, and never had a problem going in, in the dark. First snap of the twig and they're long gone away from you.

I won't watch any creepy stuff on TV. Amazing how that dumb zombie movie can seem totally plausible you out in the dark woods. My girlfriend makes fun of me, but as soon as I invite her to do the 5 A.M. hike, she drops it. Don't be embarassed man.

Zombie apocalypse is plausible but after reading all these pre-legal and post-legal shooting hour accidents, a dumb careless hunter do exist and they will shoot you. You may not see my blaze orange in the dark but you'll see the beam on my flashlight.

PS: To those dumb careless hunters. Deers don't carry flashlights and my flesh doesn't taste as good. Don't shoot at the light.