Help need black bear mount pics

bowtech2

When I was younger, I always thought I would like every predator mount to have an open mouth, but then I changed and now prefer the closed mouth (more natural in my opinion). Use google images, its the best way to see a bunch of mounts at the same time.

When I was younger, I always thought I would like every predator mount to have an open mouth, but then I changed and now prefer the closed mouth (more natural in my opinion). Use google images, its the best way to see a bunch of mounts at the same time.

This is what I found. I'm not sure but I like both. I just don't like full mouth open on black bear. . faff33fff5a35c812916a849b7094edf.jpg43991083ef6486ee44687f12dc94fd30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick a good taxidermist that is use to and has done bears, and can show you mounts they have done, take the time and compare the mount pics to actual photos. most common mistakes are setting ears to high like a deers, bears ears are set in,I've seen a lot of mike mouse looking bear mounts.setting eyes and skinning out nostril deep enough that no puddy is needed and is not visable. Your taxidermist may be a great deer head guy, but bears are different. Every taxidermist has their own specialty. .hope your mount turns out great!

Pick a good taxidermist that is use to and has done bears, and can show you mounts they have done, take the time and compare the mount pics to actual photos. most common mistakes are setting ears to high like a deers, bears ears are set in,I've seen a lot of mike mouse looking bear mounts.setting eyes and skinning out nostril deep enough that no puddy is needed and is not visable. Your taxidermist may be a great deer head guy, but bears are different. Every taxidermist has their own specialty. .hope your mount turns out great!

I'm using Fox studio. He's done few mounts for me. He does great work. I can't wait to pick them up in a few weeks.

When I had my bear rug done, the taxidermist asked if it was a boar or a sow.  It was a sow.  

He advised I get it done with an open mouth, claiming a bear female and a human female both hate to keep their mouth shut.  LOL!

Hey, he had to sell it, because it cost $100 more.

;)

When I had my bear rug done, the taxidermist asked if it was a boar or a sow. It was a sow.

He advised I get it done with an open mouth, claiming a bear female and a human female both hate to keep their mouth shut. LOL!

Hey, he had to sell it, because it cost $100 more.

;)

That's awesome never thought of it that way. Since mine sow to

That pose was customised, head turned and foot raised, by cutting and reshaping the form, the guy that did it is best I have found for bear. I use a different tacit er mist for deer, not that the bear guy does bad deer but deer guys deer are just a little better. You can't be an expert at exerything, and I like to stay away from big places that do thousan da of mounts, they have more than 1 guy working for them, who's work are you getting? They show the best work on display floor but you just happen to get new guys work though it may be good it's not the same as what you thought you were paying for... jmo

I have big taxidermist a mile from my house. True-life. He has lots of guys doing work there. He does work for the Shockey's. I would never bring anything to him. The owner does great work. But he doesn't do work unless it African game or a famous person. I drive 45mins to fox studio since it's Kurt and his son doing the work. Kurt is one of the few guys that do great all round mounts.

• Like 1

bowtech2, on 12 Feb 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

I have big taxidermist a mile from my house. True-life. He has lots of guys doing work there. He does work for the Shockey's. I would never bring anything to him. The owner does great work. But he doesn't do work unless it African game or a famous person. I drive 45mins to fox studio since it's Kurt and his son doing the work. Kurt is one of the few guys that do great all round mounts.

Bob's an OK guy...... but happen to use other folks for mounts.

Much of African work centers around who is doing the finishing of the mount (paint and touch up) as capes have short hair and aren't always in the best condition.

Find someone who can finish great, and that's a keeper.

Almost every mount in that specialty is modified....

I'm confident you will be happy with Kurt's work. He's done probably 30 mounts for my Dad and me combined.

I'm very happy with the work Kurt has done for me. I can't wait to see my bear in few weeks. I wouldn't let anyone else do my work.