long term gun storage

can anyone recommend a good lubricant / oil that they have used for storing a gun for a long period of time, and any other storage advice? I have a handgun that I would like to give a good coat of lubricant and store away in my safe and not have to worry about checking it every few months......all my other guns are stored together and I'm in the cabinet at least once a month, so I give everything a quick once over, and the handguns are handled more frequently so it's never been much of a concern.

There is a product called "Barricade" made by Birchwood Casey. It works great. Its strictly for protecting guns in storage. Its an oil but its a little on the tacky side. I have been using it for a couple years now. For handguns, I give them a good coating and then wrap the guns in wax paper. No worries for months. In fact I just checked a couple of my revolvers that I put in storage back in late September. They looked the same as the day I put them away. A can of Barricade is about 10 bucks

There is a product named RIG that is supposed to be very good for long term storage...It's a grease..

that's kinda what I'm looking for, something with a grease like consistency......it's a 1911 with parkerized or Dulite finish and the lighter oils almost seem to get absorbed into the finish, if that's possible.

Montana Xtreme, Hoppe's Elite with T3, and Hoppe's Bench Rest 9 with weatherguard have all worked for me for my guns.  It's important to use something that pulls away moisture instead of just seals it up.  if any moisture is still in the pores of the metal or under whatever you put on it, it will still rust.  Seems on muzzleloaders exposed to snowy wet late seasons the only thing that's worked to keep rust away for me to store until the following year is T/C 1000 Plus Bore Butter.  I haven't used that on my other guns though.  I think the metal composition of muzzleloaders might be different or something.

if it's parkerized don't put too much elbow grease into it.

it doesn't need to be cleaned, pretty much spotless and possibly unfired........I just want a quality oil or grease that I can put on it before I store it, I figure I'll get a couple of those dehumidifier packs to throw in the safe with it.   I'm pretty sure it had a good oil/grease on it before I picked it up, but it was handled a little bit since I've gotten it and a lot of it has come off and I'm not really satisfied with the way standard gun oil coats it.

Edited by jjb4900

definitely a good idea.  I have a big canister of desiccant beads you recharge in the oven and another desiccant dehumidifier you plug into a wall outlet to charge, both in the same safe just different sections.  all my guns are in there and it's in my dry but unfinished basement.  one's not used are just in the way back.  I really only use Elite T3 now for all smokeless guns and bore butter for my ML.  Haven't had a problem.  handle it with a rag to put it away and not your oily fingers.  I'm sure it'll be fine.

Edited by dbHunterNY