keeping a mascot

G-Man

Don't forget the chiefs,... this group is against any indian imagery, which they use themselves to sell cigatettes,tobacco, and souvenirs. A slur has to be directed at a person or persons, the use of nigger in tom sawyer is not used as a slur, to say a word always is a slur makes no sence.

This group has an agenda and are the most racist group I have come in contact with, it's their view or no other... mr.kanes speaking native page bashes us snowflakes, white privilege ,ect

I belive the word may be used as a slur but am.intellegent enough to see and recognize a difference in its use.

G- man, I was a redskin until 1968.  Also Mr. Kane is an activists that travels around doing his thing for a living. The student body had no say in this matter they were not involved in  the decision.  I also know a teacher from there that said the school board had their minds made up after the first meeting with Mr. Kane.  Yesterday the students had a peaceful demonstration/march & now the board says some kids should be suspended.  Seems odd to me, when I was in school we were taught to stand up for our rights & protest if need be.  Today the kids do it & get in trouble for it!  I read today that "Redskin"  stood for loyalty & courage & that was from a Native American!   That same article stated that any of us that were born in America, are Native American which I agree with 100%.

Edited by hunter49
  • Like 1

Well I'm a American "mutt"....Irish,Tuscaroran,English. I have heard many things about us " Mics" because I lived in an area full of " Ginnys " our school was the Golden knights...Yep A golden knight on a prancing horse over a purple back ground.

We would hold a entire week of Italians against Irish that ended in a basketball game...teachers against a live donkey team.

...No one got offended...we all had fun with it...

I suppose being English...I could have been offended by that portrail of an English knight...The "Mics" against the "Ginnys" Our shortened version..easier to say...but none of us were...Let's not even go to teachers playing Jack asses in basketball.

I thank God I went to a school that taught humor over political correctness.Believe it or not it taught us tolerance.

• Like 2

What did u want people to get offended by? Was the team names the mics vs ginnys? having some inter scholastic fun with your heritage sounds pretty cool. Was it like a cultural week. The itians vs the irishmen? Or was it promoted as the mics vs ginnys?

Not sure whats offensive about teachers playing against donkeys. Sounds funny to watch. Sounds like the community got a good kick out of it. No pun intended lol.

Another question grow. Do u throw around the n word as freely as you use ginny? Maybe u do? Just asking.

Edited by diplomat019

What did u want people to get offended by?

Now I'm pretty sure that's not what you really thought the post was about.. I actually don't use either term....But lets talk about racial slurs.. Shall we.......

We'll start out with Mick(correct spelling) I want you to read the entire link and also please take note of the copy dates at the bottom of each...for that is very telling...I'll refrain from comment and see what you come away with.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mick

Now lets move to  Ginny(Gini) please read all the words listed as slur and the discription behind each...Then go over to Irish on the list and read those...After, I'd like to see what you bring back from that and a discussion can happen

http://www.rsdb.org/races#italians

So every time I ask for a jig i'm asking for a Japanese nigger? I thought I wanted a fishing lure.....

the context the word is used in is obviously important. How can someone ignore something so simple..

that's one example but there are many many more uses for 90% of the listed slurs that are not offensive and do no by any means mean what the definition that is listed in the chart.

• Like 1

The links posted defined the words. Not sure what else i was supposed to take from it. Was it that the years cited were 100 years ago and maybe the meaning changed and definitions are outdated?

I think my biggest issue is that if native americans find it insulting then its an insult. Why are me, you and anyone else telling them its not an insult. I saw this really cool slogan that piggybacked of the "dont tread on me" saying. It said "dont tread on anyone". Found it on a libertarian site.

And yes. When you ask for a jig at a tackle shop thats exactly what your asking for. You sure as heck throw around the n word with confidence. I hope one day we can all ask for that at a store without having to use the slur "jig".

The problem is its a portion of the American Indians. As in every paper it has been in reference to a sports/scholastic team, same as jig is used in context so is a proper name, if I can get 25 people together and say diplomat is offensive do you change your name? Or any other word we find offensive... that is the gist of it for me.. the n word yelled at a black.man on the street is offensive and a slur, the n word in tom sawyer is period correct and not used as a slur... I can tel the difference as can 70 to 90% of American Indians that do not find the name a slur though It may be used as one ..

Well G-Man summed it up well...as far as the "N" word goes..let me say this..

My best friends in high school were black.Yes..back then that was very OK with them...just as my being white was for me. Now after graduation and college we were room mates in a mobile home we rented...her boy friend would come over and several times I'd hear them bouncing the N word in conversations..about others or she to him...So I asked about it...Well only a slur when whites say it.

THAT TO ME is the definition of racism! Think about it for a moment....

I have to wonder what would ever make anyone think that members of a school would ever call themselves something that they truly felt had negative meanings? Does that make any sense? I mean if people used certain terms to be hurtful, and identified these words with demeaning definitions, would they really want to go around calling themselves those same words?

Well that's the point Doc...those words as any word could have been MADE offensive...had they been used with certain adjectives. It's about intent...Tell me why I being friends with and having no intent of harm nor of being offensive, not be able to use the N word in conversation as do my black friends? Is it not racist for them to think I being white could not say a word they routinely say without racial under tones?

Let's use Gumba(sp?) Why is it Ok for Italians to refer to friends with this...but not non Italians? It's racist for them to infer others can not use the same word in a benign way.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I seem to recall the Victor Blue Devils having some kind of big problem over some kind of satanist worship fiasco or something regarding that monicker a decade or two ago. I can't recall the outcome, and couldn't really say whether they wound up changing the name or not, but they were all wrapped up in that kind of controversy. People do have the darndest things to get all excited about. Never mind the failing quality of education, and other social distractions, plaguing our school systems.  But lets all get into every piece of meaningless crap that we can distract ourselves from real issues with. The world really is going off the deep end ..... lol.

• Like 1