How involved are you with new hunter recruitment?

wooly

I've gotten a few over the years...best way...food...they taste the jerky...corned venison ...have some chili or a great soup ..they want deer meat...They do not tend to be  as enthusiastic when given steaks or chops...though they admit it tastes good and close to beef....I think they tend to not want it to "look" like it came from a deer...lol...4 I know still hunt and 2 have gotten spouses to hunt

One of my early successes in hunter recruitment was getting my Dad into archery/bowhunting/bow-making. When I was about 10 or so, for a Christmas present, I bought him a book on building bows (seemed better than a tie or pair of socks ....lol). I don't know why, but it just seemed like something that he might be interested in doing. Well next thing we knew, he was constructing a small cement-block building, building gluing forms, and ovens, buying, designing and building specialized woodworking machines, and just simply went berserk on building bows and using them for hunting. His intent was to get into commercial recurve sales, but Fred Bear was just too big a competition at the time. But, from that little book, the result was that the whole family became bowhunters and most of his grandchildren eventually became heavily involved as dedicated bowhunters.

Besides the food movement, other sources of new people are target shooters who do not hunt; and people who do not hunt but participate in hunting dog events such as tests and trials. More of you on here can relate better  to the people at the range who do not hunt than can relate to the dog events. Although I do not have the exact numbers, hunt test and field trial entrees number well into the thousands every year, with many, perhaps most, of the participants being persons who have never hunted. 

Taking your kids with you hunting...that's simply your responsibility as a father.

as long as the child wants to,my daugther showed interest in hunting for the last 3 or 4 years.She loves to go with me scouting,setting stands and being in the woods.She went through her hunter safety and 2 times last year one during the special youth turkey hunt and another a week later I had turkeys within killing range and could see it in her eyes that she didn't want to for her,she was going to kill a turkey for me.She was almost in tears when I told her it was OK if she didn't want to shoot one.SHe let the gun down and said "Dad I cant do it,I don't want to kill anything" Now before anyone judges,she eats venison,turkey,some fish and has had frog legs and knows where meat comes from.She knows that animals die to get meat.I know some people push kids into it that don't want to do it.That shouldn't happen and neither should another person push an adult to hunt.If you have someone interested in hunting put the invite out there.Tell that person how much fun you have and if they want to go great,if not please don't push the issue

• Like 1

I've given away half a dozen bows to get people started in bowhunting.  got my wife into hunting.  she has her own.  a couple cousins and there friends I've tuned their bows and gave them coaching.  had a new bowhunter that we basically gave him a guided hunt, tracked deer, and brought him to get it processed.  took many younger turkey hunting.  this summer I'm taking youths woodchuck hunting and probably will film the outings, which I have no doubts about being successful if they can pull the trigger well enough.  i'll be there and coach them through it too and let them use my own .223 cal varmint rifle with dial turrets, bipod, etc.  aside from the personal stuff I'm very much involved with multiple organizations that promote youth and first time hunters.

• 4 weeks later...