Bird Feeders and Bear

thphm

A few years back, I stepped into the back yard to find our bird feeders destroyed. One that was on a galvanized iron pole was bent down and the feeder was opened like a can of beans. Another plastic niger seed feeder was all chonked up with the seed removed, and I assume consumed.

So, my house (a raised ranch) sits at the base of a wooded hill with only a short 30 foot wide back yard. I fastened a pulley and cable arrangement between the upstairs kitchen window and a tree up on hill so that everything winds up approx. 12 feet in the air, and put the feeder out on that rig. It is like the old clothes lines that they used to have in the cities back in the olden days....lol. So, I can pull the feeder to the house, fill it, and then wheel it back out. And so far the bears have not figured a way to get at it. 

A few years back, I stepped into the back yard to find our bird feeders destroyed. One that was on a galvanized iron pole was bent down and the feeder was opened like a can of beans.

I had the same thing happen to me , I had a steel plate welded to the top of the pipe and the feeder was a home made wooden one with a hinged roof, the pipe was bent into a U shape and the feeder smashed to pieces.It also tried to get into my shed where I had feed stored in a metal can.The same day a neighbor 2 houses down the road had every one of his plastic ones hanging on tree branches destroyed.

I did stop putting out feed 2 week ago.

As you guys have seen we have some big bear in the area...I laugh at the fact that not once have they hit us...knock on wood...We had one big male walk past the picture window just 10ft from the house...walked around the house scratched his back on the clothes line post ..picked up a broken down spout to look inside and walked past all of our 4H rabbit hutches/chickens and didn't take a second glance...I have the chicken coop 200yrds down in the woods...crumbles and scratch feed in a galvanized trash can and never had one even knock the can over...raccoons, but the top is strapped on....yet our neighbor a road over had a bear try to break into is coop just 20ft from the house...but she feeds the deer....

The same night that I had a raid on my feeders and the garbage can, the next-door neighbor a ways up the valley fond a big old muddy bear foot print on their house wall. They had their feeders wrecked too. But I'm not sure what he bear had in mind while he was checking out that house wall.....lol. I think that bear probably needed a little re-training in the natural fear of man.