Dead deer on rt 17

First-light

I do the H and H every trip to the cabin. Harriman to Howard about 4 hrs on rt 17 each way. Saw way too many adult dead deer this trip and almost hit two during my travels. Usually see a few fawns with the adult does but not this time. Didn't see any dead fawns either which is unusual. 

The fawns are still small and probably aren't crossing the highway. I almost stepped on one yesterday.

I traveled 17 from Harriman to Deposit just after snow melt. Scores of deer that had been packed into the snow banks by the plows had melted out. It was a Turkey Vulture buffet for a hundred miles.

• Like 1

The fawns are still small and probably aren't crossing the highway. I almost stepped on one yesterday.

I traveled 17 from Harriman to Deposit just after snow melt. Scores of deer that had been packed into the snow banks by the plows had melted out. It was a Turkey Vulture buffet for a hundred miles.

didn't know turkey ate carrion. thought they were like deer

Yeah....I have never seen any black vultures here in SWNY, just turkey vultures..

I have seen many black vultures down south in my travels in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina..

Regarding whether turkeys vultures eat  carrion..

Does a duck's a** pucker in a power dive ?...

I've seen Black Vultures a couple of times in NY in Rockland County, and once at a hawkwatch site in Otsego. They are rare north of the Catskills. They are moving north like a lot of species and have been confirmed nesting in the Gunks.

Edited by Curmudgeon