New Zealand Tahr

Thanks all for the comments.

First time using this taxidermist, but have followed him a few years as he's gained a reputation of quality and quick turn around times(about 6 mos, which is very good for "exotic" game). Dennis Harris, The Artistry of Wildlife did the mount.

We talked basic outline of what I wanted and let him work out the rest of the details. He did several mounts for me at the same time as this one.

My dream hunt..... Not sure my knees can do it though..  3 surgeries on them..... But congrats to you!!!!!

There's more than a few outfitters who have private property hunts where 4x4 vehicle access can get you up where Tahr like to hang out to make a stalk.

I chose hunting on foot, but private land, where success rates do run higher. Still struck out on Chamois though, and hunting is never gauranteed.

Day rates run very similar to Africa plains game that your familiar with, some is high fence, some free ranging like this Tahr.

Flight is like the direct to J'berg......tediously long. Layovers is what kills me, some time at LAX and again at Auckland. But New Zealand was great and had a terrific time; would like to go again.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2