Newly acquired disc and plow

Picked up the disc for $300.00 and the plow for free! its nice to finally have my own equipment for food plots.

If anyone knows where i can get the lower blades (or shares as i am discovering they are called) for the plow i would appreciate any info? it is a Ferguson 14-A0-28 Model, i have read online that the "shares" are costly and hard to find for this model. 

post-2491-0-80687800-1433946861_thumb.jp

post-2491-0-69860000-1433946868_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Check with a massey dealer, points should be able to be replaced, land slides well...tough to find, a good welder can make you points pretty easily with the old one for thickness and bolt pattern.

Edited by G-Man

Looking at those pics you should be able to plow for a few years doing foodplot with what you have....unless your plowing pure gravel, and don't paint the moll boards as it makes for harder plowing till they shine up , for storage a thin covering of grease is all that's needed.

Edited by G-Man

Check with a massey dealer, points should be able to be replaced, land slides well...tough to find, a good welder can make you points pretty easily with the old one for thickness and bolt pattern.

Ive done some reasearch and the shares are nearly impossible to find so far in NY. Massy doesnt make them anymore. Starting to look out of a state, or just go the welding option.

Looking at those pics you should be able to plow for a few years doing foodplot with what you have....unless your plowing pure gravel, and don't paint the moll boards as it makes for harder plowing till they shine up , for storage a thin covering of grease is all that's needed.

Really? i was thinking that too but just didn't wanna damage anything. pretty easy soil that id be working (old hay field). plow was free so im not opposed to spend money to make it working correctly but its looking like a difficult task to find the shares.

I have a 2 bottom wheel plow that sat in field for 20 plus years, points were broken at tip so 15 in instead of 16, works fine, plows usually go bad when mull boards wear thru, those are tough to find on old plows, tractor supply may have 14 in bottom for a jd that you can cut bolts off and replace with your bolt pattern ,but your before pics are in much better shape than mine and I've used for 15 years doing 5 acres..

• Like 1

The last two cast iron points I had availabe for those ferguson plows went out the door for $100 a piece.  The point and the share are one piece. Doen't look like the points worn back into the frog yet. Would be tough to start into hard ground though.

Bought a pallets load of those trianglear points down at Loagler  & Ladd in Buffalo some 25 years ago when they went out of bussiness, $5 a piece for casr; & $8 for steel.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

The last two cast iron points I had availabe for those ferguson plows went out the door for $100 a piece.  The point and the share are one piece. Doen't look like the points worn back into the frog yet. Would be tough to start into hard ground though.

Bought a pallets load of those trianglear points down at Loagler  & Ladd in Buffalo some 25 years ago when they went out of bussiness, $5 a piece for casr; & $8 for steel.

yeah i'm finding that if you have the shares or the plow in general it can bring you good money!

Were these the ones for sale by Darien Lake?

Great work none the less. Enjoy and happy plotting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ny buckhunter- were those for sale on sumner rd? They look familiar

Only the disk, the plow also sold but i got mine for free from a freind of my fathers lol

You did well..I picked up a set of discs 3 years ago and I paid TWICE what you paid..I still think it was a good deal ..very useful tool..

I was fortunate to get a set of 2 bottom plows free myself..They came with the farm that my Dad bought in 1956..As far as I know they have had no replacement parts and they still work fine.

Iusually purchase plow parts at Tractor Supply, I take an old plow share with me to make sure the holes line up. They usually cost around $20.00 a piece.

yeah i had no plow share to even compare it too. after alot of research and actually a opportunity to see a complete ferguson plow same model, we were able to take measurements and will be retro fitting a case international share to fit it.

For parts try http://www.shoupparts.com/

It looks like you can use them as is.   I do not see coulters on the plow.  If you are going to plow in sod they are very very important as they cut the sod so the plow share can turn it over.  Without those....plowing in SOD is a real FPIA time consuming effort that will only enhance your ability to swear while driving a tractor. (It has been said that a prerequisite for becoming a drill instructor entails spending 2 weeks plowing sod fields without coulters. Doing that for 2 weeks puts them in the correct frame of mind  to welcome you when you step off that bus.)    If you are opening sod my advice is to spray it with roundup in August and after the sod browns/dies  scratch it with the disc (throwing Buckwheat after couldn't hurt) and wait till spring.The sod will rot and make plowing a lot easier in the spring.  IF you really want to see how to work with crappy 75 year old equipments and still get a nice field give me a call/e mail me and we can talk.

BTW the cheapest thing you will ever use on your equipment will be grease  Grease the heck out of all your bearings.  If you have any broken grease fittings spend the time and effort to replace before you use you equipment..  A 3 dollar tube of grease will save mucho $$$ and Time because of frozen or broken bearing.(if you can find them.

Good luck