Cicero Swamp

loworange88

Has anyone here had any luck in Cicero Swamp?  This is my second year hunting in the state land.  I have so far had no luck, I've only seen one deer inside the woods, and that was last archery season.  I havent been through there too much during the off season in order to scout, as the mosquitos almost carried me away.  I was just curious if there are better spots than others, ie,.. solid ground woods, no bogs.  I live fairly close by, so its nice if I only have limited time to go sit.

Thanks.

I turkey hunt there sometimes and it seems to be a pretty nice place.  Never been there for deer but I do know another guy that hunts there.  I'm not sure where he goes but I do know he gets back in there pretty good.  He is a trophy hunter and doesn't even bother with does.  I don't know why he won't take a doe ::) .  But he says he see's a ton of deer and every once in a while gets a nice buck. 

I can understand the no doe thing when hunting for a good buck.. I do the same during the regular season.. I save my doe tags for the muzzleloader. I believe that if you want to kill a good buck you have to focus on just that.. I'm sure that is his thought as well.

swamps are hard. the terrain differences are much more subtulie that in other big lots. a 1' differece in topography can mean the difference in an area holding deer or not. That goes for above the water line and below. and the latter is much harder to find without actually putting you feet on it.

Identifying travel routs in a swap, for me is best done after season. If you can luck out and the water is not frozen but the deer are still hanging in their safe havens after the season, you can let them show you the routes. I have had luck following their tracks then to see the easiest ways in and out of their areas. the open water is key for me doing this becasue once it is frozen they can easily take any route they wish.

I lived in Cicero for about 8 yearsand spent a few trips in that swamp. Overall I was not too impressed. It has deer but as others said it all looks the same. I am sure there are a couple of good spots and I also bet someone else is in them. It gets hunted pretty good.