High Brass Shotgun Shells.........

DirtTime

The new shotgun ( new to me anyway ) is said to like only the high brass shells. I picked up a box of Heavy Shot #6  2 3/4 to test tomorrow.

I don't have an issue using the high brass, so I am not concerned about that at all.

Just wondering what brands members here have used and the results you have gotten. I know some guns will shoot certain ammo better, like some might shoot Federal, and others shoot Winchester better.

Yes it's semi auto. The high brass heavier loads are what they recommend to keep the cycle clean with out a lot of jams. I still have to pattern the gun, and see for myself what works best. I am just curious what other hunters use and why. I bought the Heavy Shot on a recommendation. The place I bought the gun said they were a great shell for the gun and also a great hunting load.

I am not concerned with slugs, I won't use this for deer. Mainly turkey.

I always stood by #4 and #6 shot. Been reading up and see many turkey hunters like the #5 as a universal shot.  

I don't want you to regret making this post but.............

Why would you buy a gun that only shoots high brass?

Do you ever expect to shoot it for practice? Shooting high brass for clay birds would get awful tiring.

What gun these days is only high brass anyway?

Why not a pump gun that' will digest anything?  Take the new to you semi auto back, get a pump gun and rule the world.......................................... :yes:

I don't want you to regret making this post but.............

Why would you buy a gun that only shoots high brass?

Do you ever expect to shoot it for practice? Shooting high brass for clay birds would get awful tiring.

What gun these days is only high brass anyway?

Why not a pump gun that' will digest anything?  Take the new to you semi auto back, get a pump gun and rule the world.......................................... :yes:

I was on a very tight budget. But I went over that because I bought 2 guns. ( http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/28213-did-some-browsing-yesterday/ ). The shotgun doesn't just shoot heavy round high brass, it will shoot low brass after the full breaking in. I bought it used, so I am not really sure of anything yet. For all I know it will shoot cheap Federal ammo just fine. I was asking to see what ammo people would suggest for the high brass.

Practice? Yes, but I am not a clay shooter. I will not be shooting hundreds of rounds a year.

Back when I hunted pheasants heavy (3-4 days a week) I found that any high brass #6 round  from Federal, Winchester or Remington all worked well. Couldn't say one was better than the other.

Way back in the empty pocket days, I dropped plenty of birds with the cheapest stuff I could find. Low brass Remington Dove and Quail or Winchester squirrel loads were like $2.99 a box.

I may have missed something...The only shotgun that I saw you mention was a M37 Ithaca, which is a pump gun.

What make and model is your new shotgun ?

Looks like he bought a TriStar Raptor 12ga.

I never heard of them so at this point I don't think I can add anything to the conversation that will help without rocking the canoe......... :)

Ok........I just did a real quick Google of them and they sound like a decent gun for the money. My advice (worth what it'll cost you) is to take a pile of different loads out and blast away. Low and high brass and see how it cycles.

A report will be expected here at 7am Monday. Have fun!!

Edited by Lawdwaz

Tri-Star Raptor...Never heard of it...I'll have to check it out.

Early 3 inch mag autos, both recoil operated and gas guns, would not cycle with light loads..I had a 3 inch mag A-5 and the lightest loads it was designed to use were 2 3/4" magnums, although it cycled slugs smartly.

My 3" mag Rem 1100 will not cycle 2 3/4" loads WITH the 3" chambered barrel installed..However you can mount a 2 3/4" barrel on it and shoot skeet loads all day..

Some early gas guns like the Rem M58 had a switch that you could set for either light loads or heavy loads, and of course the early long recoil operated guns had friction rings on the mag tube that you could adjust for either light or heavy loads.

Most current production autos, both recoil and gas, are designed to fire any shells from light target loads through 3" or even 3.5"magnums.

Perhaps the Raptor needs a few rounds put through it "wear off the new edges", so to say..

I bought a Rem 1100 skeet gun once, and when it was brand new, if I did not clean the gas piston, chamber, and mag tube every 100 rounds or so it would fail to extract.

After 1000 rounds or so, it wore in and I no longer had that problem.

Good luck with your new toy, Rob...

• Like 1

Tri-Star Raptor...Never heard of it...I'll have to check it out.

Early 3 inch mag autos, both recoil operated and gas guns, would not cycle with light loads..I had a 3 inch mag A-5 and the lightest loads it was designed to use were 2 3/4" magnums, although it cycled slugs smartly.

My 3" mag Rem 1100 will not cycle 2 3/4" loads WITH the 3" chambered barrel installed..However you can mount a 2 3/4" barrel on it and shoot skeet loads all day..

Some early gas guns like the Rem M58 had a switch that you could set for either light loads or heavy loads, and of course the early long recoil operated guns had friction rings on the mag tube that you could adjust for either light or heavy loads.

Most current production autos, both recoil and gas, are designed to fire any shells from light target loads through 3" or even 3.5"magnums.

Perhaps the Raptor needs a few rounds put through it "wear off the new edges", so to say..

I bought a Rem 1100 skeet gun once, and when it was brand new, if I did not clean the gas piston, chamber, and mag tube every 100 rounds or so it would fail to extract.

After 1000 rounds or so, it wore in and I no longer had that problem.

Good luck with your new toy, Rob...

Good to know, I guess that explains it. I've always noticed that auto loaders were finicky and always seem to jam at the wrong time, that's why I never wanted one.

I have never been a semi auto guy. But in the past I have owned an 1100, a Mossberg 935 and I currently own a Super X2. I never had a problem with any of them cycling low brass ammo.

Edited by ants

I wanted that Ithaca!

But, I also really wanted the rifle. So I made the compromise. Rifle, scope, and the shotgun were around $800. Man I hope nothing happens to my truck anytime soon. LOL

Every review I read and info I could find said exactly what Pygmy said, it needs to be well broken in. Especially the tactical version.

Shot it this morning, not much, 5 rounds and the shells I bought worked fine. Roughly paced off 45 yds, so more like 40, and it patterned well with the 2 3/4" #6's. As good as any Rem 870, or Mossy 500 I have owned.

Here is one of the many reviews I looked at for this gun:

http://www.gunblast.com/TriStar.htm 

I might have stayed longer but, man it was hot and after sighting the rifle and shooting the shotgun I was sweating like a stuck pig so I called it a day. So far I am pleased. I want to get a box of #5's and I will grab a box of low brass for the next outing and see how it goes.

But I really like those Hevi Shots. They aren't that expensive, $11 for a box of 25. A few years ago when the lil woman had her 20ga she spent over $20 on a box of basic low brass Remington #4's. Considering It will be a turkey gun and maybe some tree rats in the winter I really don't mind $11 a box. I will shoot at the very most 3 boxes in a years time.

When I used to hunt with a shotgun I almost always stuck with #6 for rabbit and squirrel. 3" #4 for turkey. #6 was the most universal for me. Now, many people seem to like the #5's for all around.

Just been a long time since I hunted with a shotgun, so asking people what they like is the best way for me to get knowledge on the new ammo available.

Holy NON TOXIC, Batman !!

Are you sure of that price ?

$11 for a box of 25 Hevi-Shot ?

That's like half of what I have ever seen them...I'd quit buying steel and shoot the Hevi shot for ducks and geese all day long...

Oh..They're lead shot....The Hevi-Shot I am familiar with is nontoxic, denser than lead, and cost around $2 per shell ( or more)...

I am not familiar with the brand you pictured, but if they pattern well in your shotgun they should work fine for turkey within reasonable range and other small game.

Looks like you've set yourself up with a good battery for deer plus turkey, other game birds and small game animals.

I am a big fan of the 7mm08..It has been my favorite whitetail cartridge for the last 15 years or so...Perhaps longer....

The name "Hevi Game" is a little deceiving. That load is a light load. 1 1/8 oz. shot and 3 Dram Equiv. is what I consider light.  For a regular field load, (Express, Long Range, etc.) you want 1 1/4 oz. shot with a 3 3/4 Dram Equiv. Magnum loads would be higher.

Yeah, I didn't buy the non toxic shells. Not for a first run. I am pretty happy with both. I had my concerns with both being basically lower end guns.

I went back and forth a lot. Buy a shotgun and set it up with a bird barrel and a slug barrel, buy a package deal and put a scope on the shotgun. Buy just a rifle, or buy a new bow. It took a week for me to decide.

In the end, I just wanted something I could use to hunt everything I always enjoyed hunting. So this is the result.

There is a huge reason when I got back into hunting I went archery. I am like everyone else, I will have guns I never shoot, just have it because I wanted it. LOL

I like the shells. They only come in #6 and #7 though. So I want to try a few other brands and see the results. I also want to test some 3" shells the next time out. For this shotgun and that ammo, if spring turkey started tomorrow, I am confident I could kill a tom out to about 45 yds.

The whole thing about a site like this is getting other people views.