So what do you do...arthrits in hands...

growalot

Mainly my rt(left handed)...New to me started about a month ago in Ernest...but felt it coming on for about a year now. I draw rt handed but have a belted wrist strap...I fear holding the gun stock might cause me some problems though especially when cold and wet.I notice I tend to move my middle and ring fingers as one and the knuckles lock up on me some times...after cutting up trees yesterday it flared up on my awful and today has been a bit uncomfortable...Any of you have experience with this?

I have arthritis in my hands and they often hurt but nothing like yours . My right ring finger locks up but that is called "trigger finger" . Sometimes I heve to grab it to unlock it and that hurts but not as bad as leaving it locked in the bent position . It's bothersome when I am holding something with my left hand , using a screwdriver and need pliers . Can't let go with the left hand and hard to change tools . Anyway , I live with it rather than letting a surgeon cut the tendon .

Keep the hand warm in cold weather and holding the stock should be okay .

Hum don't know much to say, I have arthritis in the balls of both feet , have for years I no longer cross county ski but that about it . The cold has zero effect on it for me though .

Good luck .

I have arthritis (osteo) in my knees and lower back. I've tried lots of things over the years, and this may sound crazy, but what worked for me for a while was raw milk. My supplier got shut down , but I found a new one today and will pick up my first gallon from this new source tomorrow.

I know in my future I will have arthritis in my hands, if it has not already started.  Some things that bother my hands are splitting firewood or turning wrenches for too long.  My hands will lock up.  Splitting wood was the worse as I could not let go of the axe handle no matter how much I tried until the muscles relaxed for a bit.  I cured that problem with a hydraulic wood splitter though.  I seen a doc about it years ago, I wasnt diagnosed with arthritis but was told it was probably inevitable.  He gave me some advice as how to help prevent it and the biggest thing he said was do not sleep with clenched fist, it cuts the circulation on to your fingers.  I followed that advice and sleep with open hands and noticed a difference soon after on how long it was before my hands would lock up or start to hurt when I was working. 

Edited by wdswtr

Us I have it in my knees...the Dr scraped the Dr when I had the meniscus surgery...one reason they said I'll need knee replacements. They have never given me type of pain my hand is. I'll have to star taking a teaspoon of honey a couple of times a day...see if that helps.

sound like we all are old farts ( I am 74 ) and have a problem that will not go away. For me it is in my bow hand ( left arm ) as I draw with my right hand. It hurts all the time as I draw now. In the past I could go out and shoot for several hours, now the best I can do is shoot 1/2 course at the 3D shoots or about 20 arrows. I have found nothing  that seems to help.

the answer is keep doing what you love, the best you can do, for me it is decreasing the number of arrows I shoot.

good luck and hope there is a answer for all of us.

• Like 1

I usually don't buy into snake oils or tonics but, my Dr use's this and doesn't take meds. I was at a post op visit when the Dr said I never take meds and is never sick nor has any issues with my hands, its my living. Then told me to try Local Honey and Apple cider Vinegar with mothers (braggs) take it everyday 2 spoons of each. Well I bought it (GNC) and it tastes bad do not drink full strength it burns your throat. I have had some relief from it after 3 weeks, I figured I had nothing to loose and may gain. It cost less then RX and if a 12yr + schooled Dr who has all the meds at there finger tips but choose it instead, I said Why not.  Here is a link: http://homeremediesforlife.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-arthritis/

I just hope you do not get to the point that I was in last year ( hunting season ) severe pain and swelling of my right hand and up past the wrist for 14 weeks , could not use them at all .After meds. and shots it finally cleared up mostly, but I can tell you when the rain is coming .

It then moved to my left side , hand to sholder for 2 weeks and calmed down quite a bit , but still have pain in my sholder joint. Which the Dr. said is just worn out , which he said you can over use your body parts. There are 2 choices, 1 live with the pain or 2 operation which is more complicated then a knee or hips and takes much longer to heal.                                 What are you going to do when you get to be SOB and my age. You are still a young lady.