Greetings

Blessedwitcher

Hello nice to meet everyone. 

Have to say first off, that I'm actually extremely new to the world of hunting. 

In fact, just beginning to learn the info so not ready to do much yet (If anything). From a non hunter family so my resources are few. 

There may be one or two people I can ask for guidence. I've been wanting to learn how to bow hunt.

Like to know where my meat comes from, and don't care for the meat industry. And hunting seems like the most humane way to

provide for one's self.

Welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful if we knew what region you're located in. Helps us help you better (suggest local shops, gun/bow ranges, places to hunt, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome...hhmmm.......ppl some times take me wrong..bare with me...Your post indicates a specific goal to hunting and that's fine ,but hunting can be very expensive. I say this only as a caution, for if you are just starting out go slow if you can. If Just plain ole target shooting a bow isn't something you have a passion for now, then before buying  see if you can get a loaner from someone.Buy used and get it set up properly at a shop. Hunting can become a serious passion for some and not so much for others.

main things:

Practice

timing

Good boots

Good cold weather gear and a thermacell

Last, by far not least, enjoying it. Best of Luck

• Like 1

Welcome to Hunting NY! You found a great place for any hunting questions you may have. And since you are just starting out I'm sure you will have lots of questions! There is some very experienced hunters here willing to share info. Also it's loaded with absolutely great folks here too. So just pull up a seat and join in any old time!

Welcome...hhmmm.......ppl some times take me wrong..bare with me...Your post indicates a specific goal to hunting and that's fine ,but hunting can be very expensive. I say this only as a caution, for if you are just starting out go slow if you can. If Just plain ole target shooting a bow isn't something you have a passion for now, then before buying see if you can get a loaner from someone.Buy used and get it set up properly at a shop. Hunting can become a serious passion for some and not so much for others.

main things:

Practice

timing

Good boots

Good cold weather gear and a thermacell

Last, by far not least, enjoying it. Best of Luck

no its cool. I actually appreciate you being upfront with me. The big reason is I hate getting my meat from the super market cause Im not sure how well treated the animals are. Plus market meat is full of chemicals. To me hunting is more humane
  • Like 1

I do a lot of my bow practices at Pro-Line Archery and Queens Archery.  They're both in at the Brooklyn/Queens/Nassau border area.  I recommend going to them to try out some bows and shoot some arrows.

If you haven't yet, you need to take your hunter safety course as well as your bow hunting course to be able to buy your hunting license.  Check the DEC website to see available courses near you though it might be cutting it tight for this upcoming season.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92267.html

There are tons of archery deer opportunities in Long Island but I can't really help you with that as I do all my hunting in the Westchester/Putnam/Orange counties but there are a bunch of Nassau hunters on the forum that might be able to help.