My summer project is half way done...

Deerthug

I decided to build a woodshed to hold my firewood. The rubbermaid prefab shed I used to use can no longer support the loads of wood I stacked causing the walls to bow out creating large gaps and allowing rain and snow to come in. So this year I decided to build a wood shed. With the help of my son and his soon to be Eagle Scout friend we build the base, floor and posts last weekend. Today I plumbed the posts and secured them with 10' pressure treated 2 x 4's. Next weekend the T1-111 siding will be going up and the roof will hopefully be completed, leaving the doors for another weekend.

post-1257-0-97088800-1437944988_thumb.jp

post-1257-0-59752900-1437945007_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Thanks guys. I went from a 6 x 4 rubbermaid shed to 10' x 6' and height 76" in front and 56" in the rear. Should hold about 2 cords. Also have room on other side of house to store unseasoned wood. Now i just need to get the wood in there to start seasoning it!

Nice! I built one like it for my little hunting shack. Same idea, only I built the high side against an outside wall, so the water would run off and left the front open. It holds about two and a half face cord.

Keep us updated on your progress.

• Like 1

I like the arrangement. You've provided a generous distance between the wood pile and the house to eliminate any migration of wood-munching bugs. I really hate to see firewood stacked up on porches against a house wall. Sooner or later something ugly is going to move into the house.

I assume that there is a door somewhere nearby for ease of transport.

That is one sturdy looking beginning, and I think it will look great when you get it all done.

• Like 1

Thanks Doc! On the otherside of the brick wall is my den with the new woodstove. There is a door off the rear patio leading to the den and the garage is around the white gate. I usually load a wagon with wood and bring it into the garage for easy access. So I think I'm good to go.

Super-handy! I used to have to go out to the shed, hand-carry the wood up some steps of a long sidewalk, into the front entrance, up a 1/2 flight set of stairs (raised ranch), through the living room, and over to the wood stove. Talk about failure to plan ..... ha-ha. Getting rid of the ashes was kind of the same process in reverse.