First 2 Weeks October/Muzzleloader Doe Only Implemented 2015

LetEmGrow

I apologize if this has been covered in the past couple of days but I did not see it.  I think word is just getting around.

I spoke with someone in the DEC this morning who informed me that word has come down in the

past couple of days that the state is implementing the Doe Only strategy this year (2015).

First two weeks of bow are doe only.  Muzzleloader is doe only.

I was told that many people at the department have been calling Albany to complain about the

way the state did this.  They did not get any feedback from department staff or ECOs nor did

they give them any warning they would do it.  Last everyone knew - it would not go in affect

until 2016.

Reg books are being printed this week and the new regulations will be out next week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Albany — DEC officials have moved forward for this season on a plan to limit bowhunters to taking only antlerless deer during a portion of the archery season in several wildlife management units.

The proposal, which has been met with solid opposition among many hunters, also creates an antlerless-only late archery and muzzleloader season in those units.

The units involved in the proposal that was enacted for this season are WMUs 1C (Suffolk County), 3M, 3S, 8A, 8C, 8F, 8H, 8N, 9A and 9F. DEC wildlife biologists say deer numbers are too high in those units and the antlerless-only restriction is an effort to trim whitetail numbers.

DEC officials initially indicated the plan couldn’t be put in place until 2016, but moved forward with the regulatory process in time for this season.

The public comment period drew solid opposition from hunters.

This story will be updated in the Aug. 21 edition of New York Outdoor News.

Edited by Bendog

• 2 weeks later...

It amazes me how these politicians can make this so complicated-because it's really not.  By allowing antlerless only for the first two weeks and the late season will not do a dam thing that they are trying to do.  It will only force people to either: A- Not even hunt during these times, or B:  go to a different unit close by (if possible) to hunt.  Should this apply to kids and junior hunters?? Absolutely not.  Picture yourself out there hunting for the first time or first couple years and having a smasher buck (or any buck for that matter) walk by and you can't shoot it....you think to yourself why the hell am I even out there??  A small percentage of hunters kill a big percent of the annual harvest.  It's as simple as either keep giving out tags to the successful hunters that are shooting does or do what other states do-Earn a Buck!.  If the bowhunters need to harvest a doe before validating their buck tag then they will definitely do so as quickly as possible.  Make it so a successful hunter must show to any licensing agency a doe with his/her archery tag on it and then their Buck tag will immediately become valid (and they should be given another antlerless tag as a bonus and to help out with the situation!!)  By doing this an archer may shoot a doe as early as opening morning and may be hunting for their trophy buck as early as opening evening.  It's not that complicated people....  Think of the late season....How many of you are going to go out and freeze your ass off knowing you can't shoot a buck if you see one???  NO ONE...  So explain to me how that is going to help think out the antlerless deer numbers....  And the same goes for the first two weeks..  No one will hunt during that time...  The DEC extended our archery season by opening it Oct. 1 rather than the 15th, then all of a sudden it's basically back to the 15th because you can't shoot a buck!!!!!