chemonkey86

That sounds cool, I can't wait to get out. We only have about 5 acres of mature hardwoods on our farm, but there are some oaks in there which usually provide a little action. Getting a limit is tough in the limited space. Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I will bring the .410 over to my folks place when we visit for dinner. They have a lot more mature hardwoods that are loaded with hickory.

I have taken many a limit over there, but usually with the .22 after the leaves are down. The best afternoon I ever had on squirrels was opening day of gun-season for deer about 20 years ago. It was super warm and I killed my buck on our farm, skinned it and hung the quarters in our old garage fridge by 10:00 am.

I headed over to the folks place after lunch and had my limit of squirrels with the .22 in under an hour. Squirrel stew in the crockpot for dinner the next day with pan-fried venison tenderloins as an appetizer was one of the best meals I remember. The only thing more fun than hunting squirrels and deer is eating them.

• Like 1

I know I'll probably get some harsh comments ts from this but why has NY not opened up a .410 for deer hunting yet. I know previously it was not allowed due to the fact you can chamber and fire a rifle round , others claim it doesn't have the knock down power. Yet still my 870 is as accurate as a .243 at 75 yards and still plenty of power to drop a deer with an ethical shot. I've personally felt the .410 to be a good all around gun. Just wish they would make changes to accommodate such a well balanced gun. Let the bashing begin.....lol

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

No bashing here, but you're certainly not talking about my .243 when it comes to accuracy. ;-] And mine is an inexpensive Savage, albeit with good handloads.

I've never even seen a .410 with a rifled barrel, and I've never seen a proper projectile for deer-sized game in that caliber. Those are the limitations of the .410, and they're huge. Even with hand-made/cast bullets and loads you're still shooting a 40 calber gun.

I love my .410. It's an excellent short-range gun in the fall squirrel woods. For deer, it would be extremely short-range at best. Think bow-hunting range.

This morning probably would have been ok, but the afternoon not so much. I just got back from the woods chasing "limb rats" with the .410. Only saw one and was not able to get off a shot. The skeeters took most of the fun out of it. They made it tough to "stump sit" for very long. Those bow-hunters sitting in stands or blinds till dark waiting on deer are in for a rough time in these parts anyhow. It needs to be about 20 degrees cooler. Hopefully it gets there by next weekend when I start hunting horned deer with real guns.

Edited by wolc123

No bashing here, but you're certainly not talking about my .243 when it comes to accuracy. ;-] And mine is an inexpensive Savage, albeit with good handloads.

I've never even seen a .410 with a rifled barrel, and I've never seen a proper projectile for deer-sized game in that caliber. Those are the limitations of the .410, and they're huge. Even with hand-made/cast bullets and loads you're still shooting a 40 calber gun.

I love my .410. It's an excellent short-range gun in the fall squirrel woods. For deer, it would be extremely short-range at best. Think bow-hunting range.

I'm confused by the "it's only a .40caliber gun"part? I would not hunt deer with a 410 but I bet excluding muzeloaders and shotguns that 99% of deer killed with firearms in ny are shot with smaller than .40 diameter projectiles.

I'm confused by the "it's only a .40caliber gun"part? I would not hunt deer with a 410 but I bet excluding muzeloaders and shotguns that 99% of deer killed with firearms in ny are shot with smaller than .40 diameter projectiles.

True, but not with sub .40 caliber projectiles weighing less than 100 grains and with a MV of less than 2000 FPS...

Also take into account that  foster style shotgun slugs are not  very aerodynamically efficient and shed velocity very fast, kind of like a badminton birdie..

True, but not with sub .40 caliber projectiles weighing less than 100 grains and with a MV of less than 2000 FPS...

Also take into account that foster style shotgun slugs are not very aerodynamically efficient and shed velocity very fast, kind of like a badminton birdie..

Oh I understand the deficiencies of a 410 I was just stating that a .410 diameter projectile is much larger than most deer cartridges.

Oh I understand the deficiencies of a 410 I was just stating that a .410 diameter projectile is much larger than most deer cartridges.

But the energy of the 410 is much lower, than most center fire deer cartridges, due to the 410's much lower velocity. A 410 slug will kill any deer at close range (50 yards or so) but I think you're really pushing your luck beyond that.

Edited by ants

A couple of T/C Encore and Contender aftermarket 410 fully rifled barrels floating around....

Just sayin'

Maybe so, and if you look long and hard on the internet, you can probably find a "mink lined testicle massager", if you get my point...hehehe.....

A shotgun load has ballistics very similar to a muzzleloader. It's normally about a big chunk of lead ahead of a substantial powder charge.

A 40 caliber bullet is not the best choice here.

Rifle bullets, though smaller, travelling at 2 to 3 times the speed at point of impact changes things a lot.

I guess my point was missed. I was simply referring to the "it's still a 40cal gun" part of the post . I also thinks it's a gross exaggeration to say "a 410 will kill any deer close "50yds" because I don't think a 410 slug is making it through a whitetails shoulder.

What about through the ribs??  No way huh??

Edited by ants

What about through the ribs?? No way huh??

@50yds I would question 410 slugs penetration after going through a deers ribs.

Once again I think my point was missed by some, I was kind of joking with my original comment on the only a .40 diameter bullet remark. The diameter of a 410 is not the problem it is mass and density issue. I only wish I could get 1800 fps with a 180gn hard cast from my 10mm "also a .40 diameter bullet."

I have very little experience with a 410 slug actually my only experience on game was a coyote that I shot at 15yds with my judge he was quartering at me and I hit his front shoulder and he required another shot. I did cut him open to find the slug because it did not exit and the bullet never made it into the vitals. Now I am well aware that the velocity from a 4" barrel is most likely 5or600 fps slower than a shotgun barrel but the slug still did not stay intact even at the meager velocities from my pistol.