Draw length question

nybuckboy

My son is 16. Has a PSE Chaos that we bought a couple years ago. It came with 40# limbs and $100 I had 50# limbs installed but have both sets of limbs for when we sell the bow. It actually is 52# pull.

We plan to upgrade him to used Mathews (I shoot a Drenalin and he like Mathews as well).  His mid finger to mid finger is 68 inches so divided by 2.5 = 27.2 and his physical draw length (fist against the wall measured to corner of his mouth) is exactly 27 inches.

He will use a string loop on the new bow. We are looking at a used Mathews Switchback 60# with a 26.5 draw.  I know a little short is better than a little long.

Will this be about right?

Most bows come with a draw range, what is this one?  1/2 inch shouldn't make much difference but if you can adjust it to his exact draw length it woul be better.  Bow isn't as forgiven as gun.  Good luck!

Mathews bows are a set draw length... not sure a premium bow manufacturer doesn't have a draw length adjustment but they don't, although you can change cams to change the length.

The system I have the most confidence in is to visit a local pro-shop and let him measure your draw length while you are actually under the stress of pulling a bow to your chosen anchor. Also, if you are planning on using a string loop, and release that should be accomodated too. Draw length is an important bow spec and I wouldn't try to short-cut that determination. When you're spending that kind of money, it's important to get it right. Yes there is a certain amount of adjustability on most bows, but you don't want to start right off by using up all the adjustment just because you were not precise enough to start with.

If you have to pay the shop owner for his time (and if you are not buying anything from him, that would be the right thing to do), it is money well spent.

Doc

Of course you can BUT with the bow every fraction of a inch counts and it would be best to start the young guy with the correct draw creating a correct form rather then a bad habit.  For giggles take your bow and shoot it but don't use your normal/natural anchor point.  It will make a difference.  Now do it at 30 and 40 yards and see how much of a difference it makes.  Kind of like shooting out of a stand and not bending at the waist. You want him to dictate his natural anchor point not the bow.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, look at it as a SMALL investment in your boys hunting future. Even if you need to change cams to me it is worth it to have everything just right.  Either way good luck and enjoy all the great moments you're going to have with your boy!!!!  FYI it doesn't cost anything to talk to a bow tech.

Yes a half inch short will work, its not rocket science guys..sheesh. As long as his anchor point is solid he will be fine. String loops don't do any thing for changing the draw length only the anchor point. I will say this, at 16 he is not done growing yet so be prepared to make a change in the next couple of years as he finish's growing. Maybe find a bow with different mods available so you don't have to get involved in changing cams and new bows every other year.