Moldy Boots

Marion

Looks like my other pair of hunting boots seems to have sprouted a nice little fluff more so dusting of mold on the outside of the boots courtesy of some deer blood from last season. I was wondering what anyone's advice would be in terms of cleaning these boots so they'll be good to go again. I've thought about throwing them in an old pillowcase and bringing them to a laundromat and washing them that way but figured I'd check to see if anyone else had any other advice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would just clean them off by hand with a brush with some soap and water and reseal them....not sure I would toss them in a washing machine, probably only on the surface.

Yeah looks like its only on the very outside of the boots. I think it's a mixture of some dust from the workers on my house and a small dusting of mold. Will have to try some gentle soap and water with a brush

Sounds like my biggest threat at this point will be some creepy ferocious spider that may be living in the toe of the boots. Gonna give them a nice hand wash this week and hopefully be able to put them to good use this coming weekend

I think I would be tempted to try TILEX  . You want to get the mold off the boots and you might as well kill it also . 

Removes the stains you can't stand, and kills the mold you can't see.

Use Tilex® Mold & Mildew Remover as directed, and you'll not only remove ugly stains, you'll kill the mold and mildew that cause them. You can also use it to disinfect vinyl and plastic surfaces, even no-wax floors.

• Like 2

I think I would be tempted to try TILEX . You want to get the mold off the boots and you might as well kill it also .

Removes the stains you can't stand, and kills the mold you can't see.

Use Tilex® Mold & Mildew Remover as directed, and you'll not only remove ugly stains, you'll kill the mold and mildew that cause them. You can also use it to disinfect vinyl and plastic surfaces, even no-wax floors.

I'd be afraid it might bleach the boots and leave a scary smell for the deer

Douse 'em with the hose and scrub the crud off. Shop-vac will take care of most of the spiders before washing. Don't over-think it.

A boot drier setup will prevent this in the future. Less than 50 bucks at the box stores and they work for all shoes and keep your shoes and feet from growing stuff.

• Like 1

Don't know where you stored your boots so that they got mold but I would be concerned what other things also got mold on them . Mold can cause a lot of sickness . It often thrives in damp places so I run 2 dehumidifiers in the basement .

Yeah I had them in my garage and the doors have been open for a vast majority of the time with people working so I'm pretty sure that's what doomed my boots to their moldy demise