Zen Moments with Zem 2015

Zem18

This season snuck up on me in a hurry this year. I was in the hospital for a few days starting September 11th and I was not fully recovered until around October 4th, so I am getting a late start. I shot the bow a few times this past week and it felt good. I decided to go out for the first time this season, this morning. We had two parties to attend last night and did not get home until 12:30 this morning. Alarm went off at 6, and I got up at 610. It was foggy at my place and dark so I took my time to remember everything.

By the time I got to my in laws, it was light. I walked in and bumped a few stepping on some twigs. I climbed the ladder stand and got settled. Within 30 minutes I was scanning the woods and turned to my left and got busted by a small doe only 20 yds from me. Never heard her come in. She trotted away and I saw more movement behind her. There were 5 more deer in the group all out at about 50yds. They got behind some thick stuff and I see a small one headed to me and then the lead doe starts snorting. Not super loud, but alerting the small group. They all walked off within a few minutes. Not sure if they smelled me or just being caught by my movement that put them on edge. Was a great morning but I underdressed and was freezing with the switching wind.

I decided I would be back in the stand at 4:30 and enjoy an evening hunt from my upper stand where the deer from this morning went by. I sat for an hour and got ready to stand up for primetime. Then the guy next door decides to come into the woodline and start throwing sticks and branches and starts trimming branches along an old trail right by my stand. He just got out of jail after the last 3 years so I just watched him mosey on by. My camo works great as he never knew I was there. He passed by me and once out of sight I called it a night cuz I knew he'd come back by to get to his house. The joys of hunting close to houses. Still pisses me off though.

Have an out of town soccer tournament tomorrow so no hunting. Plus my daughter is playing school ball so no weekday hunting due to games. Living for the weekends! Looking forward to the rest of the season and good luck to everyone and stay safe.

10-17 Woke up and got ready to go out this morning. Was pretty windy but drove to the in laws. Two houses from theirs were a couple deer crossing the road. I knew I had to hurry to the stand as they were on their way past it.

Less than an hour went by and I caught movement and saw 2 deer heading my way. They both went out in the field and hit an Apple tree by the neighbors. Then they came right in on a string past my stand and trail cam. The first was a spike, and the second was a 3 point. There were also 2 doe back in the woods behind me. The little skipper decided to run as fast as it could to the other end of the field, do two donuts and then run back up to the other doe. Was funny to watch. The bucks circled around me and went back the way they came in. Even with the switching wind they had no clue I was there and could have shot either of them. About 1 minute after they left, I saw a red fox walking parallel to them farther back in the woods.

Was a great morning until I got cold and called it quits. Headed down to camp today to do some cleaning and get some more wood cut.

Edited by Zem18
  • Like 1

Yesterday started out great. Then I got a call from my doctor. Seems that my x-ray I had on Thursday shows I have another 9mm kidney stone and will most likely have to go back for a second surgery. Man does this suck. And right at the start of primetime hunting. Have an appointment Thursday morning to see what my options are.

10-18

Went out this morning with high hopes of arrowing the first deer I had in range as I don't know how much more I will be able to get out in the coming weeks. Was I disappointed as the only thing moving were squirrels and chipmunk, and all the leaves falling off the trees. Sat for 3 hours and nadda. Think they fed throughout the night with that moon being out. Came home and ate some breakfast and took the A/C out of the window. Wife cut my hair and now I'm settled in for the Jets game. May get out for the last few hours this afternoon with my buddy. Will post up later if I do.

Hunted a different property this afternoon with my buddy. Had 1 decent doe come by about 10 minutes after six. Never got close enough for either of us to take a shot. Was spitting snow when we first got there but nothing was sticking. Much better this afternoon versus this morning.

Busy schedule next weekend so most likely no hunting unless I can get a Saturday afternoon hunt in. That will be my only "me time"

10-24-15

Worked this morning for 6hrs and got home in time to get an afternoon sit in. Was in the sat and by 3:45pm. Man was it crunchy going in but the squirrels and chippies made enough noise to mask mine. Wind was right and then at 5pm it started to rain. I hung in until 6pm and called it a night. No deer sighted.

Headed to Latham, NY tomorrow morning for a soccer tourney for my daughter. No hunting ????. It's been slow out there according to my buddies and everyone on here so I guess I won't miss much.

• Like 1

Drove to Latham, NY this morning 151 miles one way for the soccer tournament. Left at 5:45am. Drove the boring Route 88 all the way to 90, then to 87. We did not see one deer (dead or alive) the entire trip up or the trip back. Weird as can be. Tons of skunks hit and a few porcupines and raccoons. Did see one coyote dead on the way back home on top of Belden Hill too, but again, not a single deer. Oh and we did see a bald eagle roosted by a small stream on the way back.

Girls played great today

0-0 first game

2-0 second game

2-0 third game

They were the #1 seed for the playoffs and faced the #4 seed next. Won that game 2-1 to go to the finals against the team they played in the first game.

They won the finals 1-0. Congrats to the Champions!

Just got back from spotlighting with my buddy. Slow night out there.Saw 74 deer total on 5 different roads we drove. Saw a 6pt who was chasing two doe with his nose to the ground and , 2- 4pts, and 3 spikes. The rest were doe.

Edited by Zem18
  • Like 1

Nice job at the tournament! My daughter tried out for the LI Rough Riders Premier travel team last month. She made it so now we are on two different teams and a whole lot of traveling to do! lol We all love it so it goes. Good luck getting that first deer Zem!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Was a great day. Looking forward to this weekend for hunting. I have inventory next week for my warehouse so it will be impossible to get out so making the most of the time I can get not working or going to soccer. Love it all though, except the work part.

• 2 weeks later...

Inventory is over and I have the whole weekend off, woohoo! Washed the hunting clothes and headed to the in laws in the morning. Been shooting at work during lunch so I'm ready to go. Hopefully the deer will cooperate.

My FIL is on his yearly trip to Colorado and shot a nice 4x4 mule deer on Tuesday. He texted me tonight and said they got 6 inches of snow and the elk are on the move and his buddy has an elk tag. Ill get some pictures when he gets home next week and post them up in here. Good luck out there this weekend. Let's get it done.

• Like 1

Bumped a few going in this morning which always sucks as they are always within distance of my stand. They couldn't be close to the beginning of the walk in, no always at the end. Figures. Got in the stand and waited for sun up anyways. About 7am I see a lone deer sneaking by but not stopping to feed. As he clears some trees I can see he has a rack but a small one. I let out a few grunts and use the can call but to no avail.

Then Turkeys start gobbling. Love to hear that in the woods. About half an hour later they are behind me about 40 yards and just out of sight but as loud as can be in the dry leaves. I thought I was going to be trampled over by them. As I am watching to get a glimpse of them I hear something to my right and thought it was squirrels. I look over and there is a yearling all alone who just busted me. It took off towards the turkeys and then hit the brakes. It didn't know what to do or which way to go and then bounded off away from all of us turkeys out there this morning. Hung in for 4.5 hours total and saw 2 deer and about 20 to 25 turkey in that flock.

Little disappointed but will be back at it again tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed that one with some size comes in range.

Saw my buddy at the soccer dome this afternoon. He shot a big bodied 5 point this morning with the crossbow. Only deer he has in range all season. Meat in the freezer for him and his family. Congrats Paul.

Got into stand right at 6am today. Was up and settled and I hear steps in the leaves. Then I hear the dreaded blow. Not once but twice. Game over. Zero, zip, nadda the rest of the morning.

The last couple of years the patterns have changed here and it seems like I am just hoping to get one dumb enough to walk by. I can't move a stand as we are already close to the property line and the deer now travel back on that property. Hardly any pics at the crab apple tree. Have a scrape under the tree but the cam was facing other direction watching a fresh rub. No daytime pics at all this year. Can't figure out what has changed their patterns in this spot.

Same thing and the other property my buddy and I hunt. August and early.September he had over 2000, yes 2000 pics in a week. Now he is getting 2 pictures a week. There was some logging going on very close which explains what could have them changing here.

Guess I will still take my chances on lady luck this bow season but it doesn't look promising the way my year has been going. CT scan in the morning and follow up appointment on Thursday. Been feeling ok so hope all is well and have gun season to look forward to.

Few updates. The elk were moving in Colorado and my FIL,s buddy shot a dandy bull on Sunday the 8th, their last day to hunt. They got home today and I couldn't get up to the house to see these animals they got but will go up tomorrow and snap pics to share on here.

My BIL shot a small buck this morning with the x bow. Believe it was a spike. He is a meat hunter only and would rather use the antlers to stir soup with so good for him.

My buddy was out at the 2nd property we hunt today. Had a 3pt and 4pt come in around 2pm. Hung around for over an hour an half in the area. At 3:30 a big doe was coming into range and he was up and ready to draw when the 3pt popped out of the pines and started grunting at her. She freaked and bolted. Didn't get another update from him so I am assuming he is pissed.

Saturday can't get here fast enough.

Holy crap I just previewed my whole story and tried to correct a mispelled word and lost the whole thing, WTF!!!!

OK trying again

Had a deer come in to my right just after 8am this morning as the wind had died down for a short stint. He looked to be headed on a 4 wheeler trail that runs past my stand about 15 yards away but then dropped into the woods at over 40 yards away and was headed to the field. He gets to the field and peeks out and then heads into it and walks along the edge towards the crabapple tree where my trail camera is. Walks right past the cam ( Didnt take his picture either, POS camera) and freshens a scrape under the tree. He then proceeds through some Autumn Olive into a scrub field and into a thicket off to my left. I see him sniffing his way through the thicket and is going to come out towards me.

He comes out and hits the 4 wheeler trail and turns to come  straight by my stand. I draw as he goes behind a few trees and when he hits the 20 to 25 yard mark he stops quartering away slightly back towards the deep woods. I settle the pin and squeeze and as I watch my arrow headed to him, he turns hard right and I hit him in the hind leg. He immediately jumps up and then hits the ground in the middle of the trail. I am fumbling to nock another arrow and he tries to get up, dragging his backend and scampers into the thicket. I watch and listen and he does not go back into the scrub field so he only has one way out of the thicket.

I sat close to 2 hours and had to check for blood and an arrow (which I was pretty sure was still in him) I got to the hit site and found some blood, not alot, and then another decent spot of blood. At that point I went back to my stand for another 1.5 hours or so. I know what is on the other side of this 60 yard long thicket, so I decided to head along the 4 wheeler trail that goes along the thicket. I could not get in there unless I was on all fours and wasnt leaving my pack and bow behind. When I got to the end of the thicket, it opens up into a mowed area around two ponds on the neighbors property. I decided to walk along the edge of the thicket to llok for blood or other sign that he made it out of there. I come across the run he took through the thicket and come out into the mowed area as there was decent blood. I scanned the open mowed area and the two ponds and did not see anything. So my eyes to the ground, I start to follow the blood trail out of the thicket. I take ten steps and up pops the buck in a 5x5 patch of Goldenrod I had just walked within 10 feet of as I entered the mowed area.

He is standing with his hind end facing me and he is looking back over his shoulder at me but not moving. I come to full draw and start to slide to my left to try and get him broadside to me so I can finish him off. He doesnt like this and starts to walk away but is limping bad and I see his insides hanging out beneath him. I follow him to close the distance and he gets about 25 yards away and beds down in a briar patch with one opening. I get to within 15 yards and send an arrow into the opening at his vitals and the arrow hits the mark but does not penetrate as I thought it would. My focus changes and I see there were twigs and branches between us and that is why it did not penetrate good. When I hit him, he got up and walked 10 feet and jumped straight into the small upper pond and started to swim away from me. I nock another arrow and run to the levee between the two ponds to get into position to end this as he steps out on the other side. Well he makes it to the opposite side and will not get out of the water. I walk up to within 5 feet of him and send an arrow through both lungs and it was over. He kicked 2 times to get away from shore and turned over right smack dab in the middle of the pond. It was finally over for him and me. I had to sit for a second as I thought I was going to have a heartattack.

I went and knocked on the neighbors door and asked him if the row boat was sea worthy but it leaks like a collander he said. At that point I headed home ( 3minutes away) and got my chest waders and my neighbors pool cleaning pole. My buddy came up to help fish him out and video me, all the while making smartass comments in the background. Only had to get wet up to my knees in the waders but that water was chilly. I got ahold of his antlers and pulled him onto the levee between the two ponds and here he is.

An 8pt with a busted brow tine.

IMG_20151110_121747687_zpszrxrptnw.jpg

And a side view

IMG_20151110_121758234_zpsiipldorf.jpg

Once we drug him up to the woods to field dress him I inspected the intial hit. When he turned hard right, I hit him through the left hind leg, slicing his underbelly, and hitting the inside thigh of his right hind leg. When he jumped and then fell straight to the ground, he had a compound fracture to his right rear leg and that is why he was dragging his back end as he went into the thicket. I was extremely lucky today to have recovered this deer and things could have gone much worse. I am happy that I got on the trail when I did so I could end the suffering and enjoy this beautiful deer. Fnally some good luck came my way.

Here is one last view of him hanging in the shop before we process him.

IMG_20151110_144750145_zpsc6qiswbq.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks guys. It was a crazy day for sure.

Fletch, I had to scramble and get some broadheads on my practice arrows for the hunt this morning. Lost 1 arrow and bent two others. Only good one left and the feathers shrunk all up from being in the water.

Crappie - heck no I won't post that video!! At least not yet.

• Like 1