People who steals stands

buck hunter

Again, show me one state that would allow you to shoot or even shoot at someone for stealing something thats out in your woods. A link to a law or something along those lines would be great.

Technically doesn't Texas allow a person to shoot another?

Texas also allows a person to use force and deadly force to protect the personal property of a third party. The use of force is permissible if the person believes that the force or deadly force is necessary to prevent the commission of theft or criminal mischief, or if the person believes that the third party has asked them to protect the property, the person has a legal duty to protect the property, or the third party is the spouse, parent, child or under the care of the person using force.

https://www.uslawshield.com/portal/texas-gun-law/

Edited by chas0218

Not for stealing in general. Read the entire thing. Unless the person stealing the treestand was doing so at night, or threatening someone while doing so, deadly force is not warranted. Force is, but not deadly force. Shooting at someone would more than likely be considered deadly force whether you hit them or not.

Had a buddy have a camera stolen from his property.  His neighbor was a hunter and didn't like the fact that my buddy's stand was within 200 yards of his property line.   They had words previously because he would tell his friends they could ride their quads on my buddys land a bunch of times.

His camera went missing and he went right to the guys house and knocked on his door.  Called his bluff and told him he had a 2nd camera off his stand and saw him walking away with his gear.  The guy actually went into his garage and gave him back the camera! 

I would have given that scumbag a 5 finger across his face, but my buddy said the guy's wife was standing there.

Some people are complete scumbags. 

• Like 1

I'm no passivist but I don't understand the violence in some people. And I've been broken into and robbed twice. It just doesn't solve anything and can lead to a nice arrest record. We unfortunately live in a different time where 2 gentleman can't settle their disagreements with a nice brawl. You're more likely to get a summons for hauling off on someone.

Sept 26 2015...Went to check trailcam on my land and my stand was gone.... (it was there 2 days before)

Perfect ...no stand for opening morning....and 2 years ago they stole camera....uggh

I believe we have gotten off subject too.

Stop the talk of killing others...its not what good hunters do....

Keep thoughts like that too yourselves....its just ammo for non hunters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

there's a climbing stand that's been sitting at the bottom of a tree on some public land that I hunt....this is year 5 of it not being touched or used, at what point does it become garbage that I can throw away and clean up the woods?

Maybe they use it when you're not there. Either that or the owner could have forgot where it was and/or died and obviously can't return to take it/use it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Maybe they use it when you're not there. Either that or the owner could have forgot where it was and/or died and obviously can't return to take it/use it

nope, tree is growing around it, been there through all seasons, as I Turkey and small game hunt the same area and scout it in the off season as well.....hasn't been used since I found it the first time. I was just wondering if there's an acceptable point when someone can remove it and dispose of it some how, I've considered maybe dropping it off at the local PD? but I think they would be less then thrilled to have garbage dropped off at their station. I't gonna be one of those things that someone finds 100 years from now and tries to figure out what it is.

there's a climbing stand that's been sitting at the bottom of a tree on some public land that I hunt....this is year 5 of it not being touched or used, at what point does it become garbage that I can throw away and clean up the woods? 

If its been there that long and hasn't been used then take it. Its obviously abandoned.

Over the years, I have taken numerous stands off of our posted property. I don't think twice. I should start selling some of them.

• Like 1

nope, tree is growing around it, been there through all seasons, as I Turkey and small game hunt the same area and scout it in the off season as well.....hasn't been used since I found it the first time. I was just wondering if there's an acceptable point when someone can remove it and dispose of it some how, I've considered maybe dropping it off at the local PD? but I think they would be less then thrilled to have garbage dropped off at their station. I't gonna be one of those things that someone finds 100 years from now and tries to figure out what it is.

I would contact DEC and let them remove it.  They usually hold on to it for a little while which give the owner a point of contact if they notice it is missing and wants it back.  This way your hands stays clean and don't have to deal with it.

• Like 1

If its been there that long and hasn't been used then take it. Its obviously abandoned.

Over the years, I have taken numerous stands off of our posted property. I don't think twice. I should start selling some of them.

Anything good?

Has anyone thought of placing one of those GPS chips somewhere on their stands, not sure what their ranges might be but its worth a thought

For it to be effective, the GPS tracker needs a power supply and a cellular connection.   Otherwise you're severely limited in range.   So you're looking at a device like the GTU 10 which is about 3x1.5x1 inches, so while not huge, it would definitely be very noticeable attached to a treestand.

Second, in addition to its size, you're limited by battery life.  If it's really cold the battery might die in a week or two, and many people are away from their stands for longer than that.  

Third, you need to be in an area that has cell coverage, which might not happen due to the terrain or just being out in the boonies.

Fourth, these devices are frequently more expensive than the stand.  Why double down on your loss?

So yes, people have thought about it :)   Just not practical is all.

Regarding GPS http://www.iotatracker.com/is a new product shipping this December. Small, battery lasts for a long time. It has a decent independent range but it shines using a crowd-based network, so once you hit a critical mass of users you potentially end up with "infinite" range to it, to find out exactly where it is.

This assumes it works as promised.

But, let's say your GPS tracks to someone's house. If you don't know them is that enough for police to visit them? Probably. Is it enough for a search warrant over a tree stand? I doubt it. Would sure be an interesting visit from the cops though.

But, let's say your GPS tracks to someone's house. If you don't know them is that enough for police to visit them? Probably. Is it enough for a search warrant over a tree stand? I doubt it. Would sure be an interesting visit from the cops though.

The trick is to wait until he hangs it on public land, and you steal it back.