Dissapointed in Remington

A good inexpensive set up is the Savage Axis. The local GM has the Axis II with, what appears to be a decent Weaver 3-9, for a little over 400..think it was like 439.99. The Axis II is the Axis, but with an adjustable trigger. Comes in all popular deer calibers. .243 through 30-06. Not sure if it comes in magnum calibers..

Maybe sell the 770? I had a bunch of GCs and looked at it because Walmart also was selling it sub $300 but people online appear to just hate it, whereas the 783 is reported as rough but ultimately very accurate.

Part of the problem with anything is that when you're used to class it's hard to go back to entry level. I think a 783 would be great for me because I have no idea how much nicer a $600 rifle would be! Same reason I love my $300-350 bow and don't need a $1000 one.

That 770 shoots just as good as my Tikka. I must have gotten a good one it shoots sub MOA 3 shot groups. I can clover leaf that gun. If I tried to sell it I wouldn't get crap because of those reviews. That 783 looks to me to have the 700 action but I am not too sure.

I wouldn't think they would take a 700 SPS barrel and action and throw on a full plastic stock and cut the price $300. I mean it would make a lot more sense than to go through a complete re-design of action and stock for a cheaper rifle. The other thing I am not a big fan of is the Matte finish it rust very easily. Maybe if it was a cheap enough gun I would throw some of that rust-oleum bed liner on it then it wouldn't rust and be super durable.

Edited by chas0218

A good inexpensive set up is the Savage Axis. The local GM has the Axis II with, what appears to be a decent Weaver 3-9, for a little over 400..think it was like 439.99. The Axis II is the Axis, but with an adjustable trigger. Comes in all popular deer calibers. .243 through 30-06. Not sure if it comes in magnum calibers..

Does it have the savage accu-trigger? I hate that trigger you really need to shoot one to see if you like them. My father-in-law swears by the triggers but a good trigger isn't supposed to have travel before it goes off. Only reason I would buy one is if I was a super recoil wuss because you don't know when the gun is going to go off. But my tikka with a 4lbs. trigger is surprise enough for most. 

it isnt just Remington and it isnt just cheap guns.  I have a Ruger Red Label 28ga that has been sent back to Ruger twice for the vent rib falling off while shooting.  I recently was looking at a Kimber rifle at the local shop and the stock was so poorly fitted that the stock was touching the barrel on one side and had a 2mm groove on the other side.  I guarantee you it would have shot like poop.  There just seems to be very poor quality control all around these days

• Like 1

Killed 2 deer with dad's savage axis last season solid gun for the money there's a few like that...savage axis, ruger American , Marlin xv7? And Remington just came out with a decent one too

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Dicks sporting goods will have the savage axis xp for 199$ with mail in rebate on black friday.

Yep, you're right, I just saw the ad.

I assume that $200 for the Axis is better than $250 for the 783? 

I know the remington 870 had some rusting issues in recent memory, but has Remington resolved that issue on its guns now?

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a new 783 in 270 before Christmas from Gander M.  First time at the gun range she shot ok on target but more than

once I a had a miss load after fireing the gun. This new gun now is back at their Remington factory.

I just purchased a new 783 in 270 before Christmas from Gander M.  First time at the gun range she shot ok on target but more than

once I a had a miss load after fireing the gun. This new gun now is back at their Remington factory.

You put the wrong cartridge in...?

I have had many remy. shotguns and rifles threw the years and only had 1 a 742 that would not hit the bulls eye at 50 or 100 yards,with the iron sights or a couple of scopes and mounts that we tried. After many gun smiths and checking we found that the receiver was drilled or bored and threaded on a very slight angle enough to put the bbl. on a slight angle to the left. I bought it used and the dealer gave me my money back.I just put a deposit on a factory remy. bdl. action for a upcoming build. This thing is the smoothest moving stock factory action I ever felt ,I would say as smooth as some of my custom bench rest actions.So you can get good and bad from any manif.

• 1 month later...