Retrieving Deer Question

DirtTime

. So now you are saying you have been told that it is ok tontag a deer you did not kill because the guide does not say after you kill the deer or you can report because you are reporting a kill,not a kill you made? Ridiculous

Im telling you what I was told by DEC, what in the name of all that is holy dont you understand about that? You were shown the email from the region 8 captain.

No the email did not say that because the guide book does not say you it is OK to tag a deer you did not shoot. You stated that after I said to check the guide. Bottom line it is illegal to tag a deer you did not harvest. Now back peddle your way out of this one

Burke, John W (DEC) <[email protected]> Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:25 PM

To: "" <>

Mr. Wolfe,

Yes, they can providing they have a valid license to do so.

Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:26 PM

To: Burke, John W (DEC)

Subject: FW: Question about tagging deer

Could you please respond?

Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:36 AM

To: dec.sm.Region8

Subject: Question about tagging deer

If I shot a deer, and it died on a property that I dont have access to, and the landowner denies me retrieving the deer, can that landowner legally tag the deer as theirs and keep it?

Thanks,

John Wolfe

This is the email I sent, with the question I asked, and their response.

Please, show me where I said any situation.

Thanks you for taking the time to direct the question to those responsible for enforcing the rules and regulations of deer hunting in NYS. And thanks for supplying the reference of the material.

But as Doc stated hearsay is just that hearsay. I could deny anything I have said in the past as long as there was no written record. So it behooves anyone that envisions a subject coming into question to have a written reference to supply the enforcement officer or judge.

Edited by Jmny

I think with the amount of trail cameras these days and the growing popularity of trail cameras the text the pictures immediately, you would be pretty stupid to go on someone else's land without permission.  Whether the land owners hunt or not is irrelevant.  Someone is probably hunting there.

And as someone else pointed out, if you are hunting right on the border and they know you are hunting right on the border then circumstances change drastically.  The first thing they are probably going to think is the deer was on their land anyway when you shot it. 

I am also in the camp of landowners that own property who have border huggers.  Mine have been pinched before for trespassing.  If I feel the individual shot the deer some distance from my border then I would never say No.  For the border huggers that hunt on property far bigger than mine, the answer will always be No. 

Exactly.

I own land bordered by thousands of acres of state land, and two other private properties.

It is not uncommon to see someone hunting 50 yards from my property line, on the state land, facing my direction.

Of course the neighbors get access, Not a problem.

I would want to see where they were hunting, and the blood trail.

• Like 1

I understand it is ridiculous. No Dec officer told you that because the book does not say you itisoktog just tag a deer

I understand it is ridiculous also. I too have never seen an itisoktog in any books either. You've got a good point there bubba.

Sorry ..... I couldn't help myself.

I understand it is ridiculous also. I too have never seen an itisoktog in any books either. You've got a good point there bubba.

Sorry ..... I couldn't help myself.

Good one Doc . It's good that someone brought some humor to this thread ............. It was starting to get nasty .