WHO EVER IT WAS...

Robinson446

Who ever was in Gilbertsville during hunting season hunting Saloans farm, and shot a 3 point and didnt bother to track it, SCR3W YOU! im getting pretty sick of people shooting deer and not tracking them. My grandfather shot a deer opening weekend and being the conditions of where he shot it, i had him wait where he shot it and i tracked it for 2 hours! Finally found the deer in the swamp dead. I walked the swamp up to my knees for 2 hours due to no blood from the water in the swamp. IF YOU SHOOT ANY ANIMAL, ATLEAST HAVE THE HEART OF A TRUE HUNTER TO GO FIND YOUR KILL. Perfectly fine 3 point went to waste because i found it a week to late. I was just riding around on the four wheeler looking for coyote tracks and the 3 point was laying right in the open by a fallen down pine. TRACK YOUR DEER WHEN YOU SHOOT THEM GUYS.

Sure it had been shot and not hit by a car or something like that? Id think any really good sign of a shot would be long gone by now on any deer shot durring the season. Ive found some carcasses laying in various areas while shed hunting and predator hunting the last couple of weeks, and you cant tell how they met their end. Well, except the ones right by the road, but they can run a ways after being hit by a car.

WNY i dont know exactly when he was shot but im assuming it as a week before i shot it. could have been before. I flipped him over ad he He had a bullet hole in his left side where the kidneys are and the shot came out a little higher up towards his gut on the right side. I looked him over real well in the begining and found the shot. His hair was all ruffed up where the shot went in and went out. I stuck my finger in it to make sure it was a bullet hole. I talked to the farmer and he said he didnt shoot any deer down there this season and he said he only hunted up across the road and didnt shoot at any deer. His brother got a decent 8 and thats it. The way he was running from was right where the deer cross the road almost night just before dark. So im pretty positive someone shot him out of the car or stood on the road. Either way they didnt have permission to take the deer.

Ok, so then its a case of poaching, or maybe it was shot on another property and went a long way, not someone not tracking down their deer.Deer dont always run in a straight line after being shot, they wil circle around and do all kinds of crazy stuff. My point is, maybe you shouldnt start pointing fingers or laying blame when you dont know the whole story.

It is good to see a kid so enthusiastic about hunting.. just rememeber kid, don't get all riled up about the bad hunters just yet... you'll burn yourself out before your my age. This incident is just one of many you'll encounter over the years... focus on you and your hunting and don't let the bad hunters get you down.

It is good to see a kid so enthusiastic about hunting.. just rememeber kid, don't get all riled up about the bad hunters just yet... you'll burn yourself out before your my age. This incident is just one of many you'll encounter over the years... focus on you and your hunting and don't let the bad hunters get you down.

Well said, and 100% true, if you let every little thing that other people do bother you, you will burn out. Put the energy into your own hunting and youll be better off. Now if you see someone do something, report them, and then move on.

I knew a guy once that was so afraid that someone might try hunting on his leased land .. that he spent all his time patroling the property... and wondered why he never killed a deer. The funny part is he never did catch anyone trespassing.. cuz it was all in his head ;)

Fair enough Geno...I respect that.

G-man...lost my first deer this year and that exact scenarion you put up happened to me. Over a 2 mile track and a large creek crossing from Northern Zone and into southern zone. The farmer on the other side of the creek would not grant me permission to follow up on the tracking and I know it was dead on his land, based ont eh amount of blood during the track. This was opening weekend of muzzleloader in the NZ. I have permission from all the surrounding landowners to follow up on shots but never expected to have to swim for one...lol. Point taken

This happened to my dad three years ago. My dad had just called me on the radio to help him track; He shot a buck and the deer ran for quite a while, but the track and blood told us that he would pile up sooner rather than later somewhere. Unfortunately he had just a bit too much adrenaline in his system / was a good fighter, because he went further than we expected. We were very patient and tracked very carefully for quite a while. We reached the edge of a posted 'wildlife preserve' that a local business owns and could go no further. We were certain the buck had expired on their property, however we could not get permission even if we agreed not to carry any weapons onto the land. My dad and I were just sick over it.

A family friend was in that parcel less than a week later doing some surveying (obviously with permission) and found my dad's buck, less than 30 yards from the property line. There won't be year that goes by that my dad and I won't feel upset over losing that deer.. respect for the animal and what it represents is very important in my family.

There are a lot of things that happen in the woods, and sadly there are a lot of slobs or lazy hunters that don't try. But I'd be really heartbroken if anyone thought we didn't give that buck our best shot.

All the more reason not to get all riled up about things...Unless you know for sure what really happened, there is no sense letting it bother you... remember the old saying about assuming? ;D  I say.. just shut up and hunt!

right on brutha...

Jennifer, if that situation ever comes up again, call the game warden and request his help. 

Many times the landowner will allow the warden to go onto the land and retrieve the deer for you.  I don't know what the wardens say to these landowners to make it happen, but I've seen them do it a couple of times in the past.