Shed Hunting

JR60

I have shed hunted for a number of years with no luck. I follow buck trails in the snow, nothing.  Soybean fields are the best place to look, so I've been told, still nothing.  We have bucks in the area, because new rubs are showing up even after New Years.  Whats the secret, if any, of finding that needle in a haystack?

Ya lots of walking. Or driving I know a guy who drives around streets in Irondequot looking in peoples front yards and did VERY well in years past.

I also walk along expressways,just off in the woods and fields. I do this where I see a lot of road kills.... many make it off the shoulder before they drop. I guess this is more dead deer hunting then shed hunting lol.

Another thing is to walk creeks and fences, spots they have to jump as the jumping may jar them off .

Another good spot is by my house in Webster where guys bow hunt. Its "tight" and guys don't want to follow up if it takes them near houses and businesses. I've found whole bucks more then once including a freak drop antler with a "bulb" type end.

Find them before the other guy... wait to long especially i fields and they will dissapear before you can look yourself, yes the land my be posted but shed hunting is becoming too big a deal and tresspassing may occur more than you think, doesn't take to long to walk an open field and most people's camps are closed the locals know this and also know that they wont get caught as noone is around to report them (trail cams show a lot if you leave em up year round). If they are watching one of your fields and see lots of deer in them..the first snow melt they are there for the picking unfortunatly you are at work or home and the locals grab them quick. I even had one local tell me that the posted signs are for hunting season...

Nothing more frustrating than putting time,effort, $ into a property, setting up sanctuary areas, passing on young bucks and then watching some entitled 'local' blaze through past the line of posted signs like they own the place.

Thats a good point gman.  Its a hard balance of waiting for them to drop so you don't leave too much stink and pressure on the area and they drop somewhere else.  But if you wait too long the other "owners" will have already come looking.  Sad but true.

Find them before the other guy... wait to long especially i fields and they will dissapear before you can look yourself, yes the land my be posted but shed hunting is becoming too big a deal and tresspassing may occur more than you think, doesn't take to long to walk an open field and most people's camps are closed the locals know this and also know that they wont get caught as noone is around to report them (trail cams show a lot if you leave em up year round). If they are watching one of your fields and see lots of deer in them..the first snow melt they are there for the picking unfortunatly you are at work or home and the locals grab them quick. I even had one local tell me that the posted signs are for hunting season...

Funny-I was wondering why the guy who owned my land before me only had up "No Trespassing" signs. Maybe that was it!