Air Rifle .177 opinions

mac

Not many air gun hunters on here. Maybe a handful at most. I would go .22 caliber pointed pellets, just my thoughts. Look at Beeman. I have heard they are a top brand and around that price.

I would do a search for air rifle hunting forums and read what they have to say. Probably as varied as what deer hunting round is the best on here.

Edited by ....rob

i'm looking for a squirrel air gun .177 for 15-25 yards range. anyone have their favorite Gamo? Whisper Silent Cat, Big Cat, Silent Stalker, etc..about $200 ballpark. I dont care if need to replace the scope it comes with

Check out the reviews on Pyramyd Air on the above. If you're set on Gamo, I'd go with their break barrels such as the Silent Stalker IGT series. You can opt for the ND52, but I would say it's not necessary as the noise report from impact would be louder than equipped with ND52, essentially giving you only one shot anyway. There are a few things you want to watch out for with those Gamo's and that's the damage the recoil does to the scope mounts and the loosening of the stock screws. It's a common problem.

Crosman/Benjamin also has a good selection of break barrels with gas piston technology. Look up Jim and Eva Shockey for some introductions. Either way, stick with .177 for squirrels and break barrels.

If you were after absolute stealth, you'll need to step up into the PCP world and go with baffled shrouds.

Good luck!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

I've used a multi-pump .20 sheridan and a Beeman R1 in .177.  The beeman is a real tack driver.

In that price range all should do you well.  Be sure you get hunting pellets, the Beeman silver jets and the hollow points work very well on squirrels.

The main thing I will tell you here is that if you scope it or replace the original scope make very sure you use a scope designed for air rifles.

I'm guessing you are  picking out a spring piston air gun and not a pre-charged pnumatic or air spring rifle which do not have the scope problems.

A spring piston air rifle has a double direction recoil and will tear a cheap, non-air gun scope innards apart in short order.

Edited by Jaeger