Talk about being on a schedule....

growalot

Thanks........ but really want him to make it until next year at least....So he needs to stay right on that time line to be safe...not sure how old...shoulders and neck meeting at brisket would indicate at least 3 1/2, I would think...But tine length and mass makes me think 2 1/2...you cant tell by width here because I've seen 1 1/2 yr. old spikes out past their ears with pencil thin sweeping curves...Just nice to see some of the big boys are still on their feet....

I. think it maybe...which is what makes it bitter sweet...but the doe just would not cooperate and stay out during shooting hours and now is when I have hanging weather...thanks

PS..That camera is on the opposite side of property from where I shot him...

Edited by growalot

I. think it maybe...which is what makes it bitter sweet...but the doe just would not cooperate and stay out during shooting hours and now is when I have hanging weather...thanks

PS..That camera is on the opposite side of property from where I shot him...

Nice congratulations

Good job grow. And I know all about the bitter sweet stuff! He may have made it or may not have. Then u got cars too! I would love to let all the bucks I see grow! Well most of them anyhow. But I like filling the freezer too! If I had 500 acres and could manage the herd then u can be picky. I really try not to kill anything less then a 6pt but if it's a yr like this one! The next deer I see hits the ground. If I happen to see one. Nice job man

• Like 1

Yes I would have loved to have shot that nice doe and been done...but like all the rest she would not stay off her safe zone during shooting hours...she actually went through exactly where the buck did...I'm not sure if he had scented her or he was just going to the same safe property. Thanks...there will not be shoulda...coulda's once we start enjoying steaks in garlic butter...

Edited by growalot

.....Thanks...there will not be shoulda...coulda's once we start enjoying steaks in garlic butter...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I always try to seize any opportunity I think I may come to regret when looking back at a past deer season. This winter when you're enjoying your steaks in garlic butter, think about the old proverb, "A bird in hand is....". BTW - Garlic butter doesn't make tag soup any more palatable! LOL

Yes he's young...when comparing him to the bow buck...way lighter in weight ...105 to 174 hanging. Both weighed on the same scale...then body length...this one is much shorter in length..I had no problem gutting and dragging him through the slashing to the Gator. His rack is wider but has less mass

Disagree. That looks to be at least a 3 1/2. That rack ain't improving a ton

No way that buck is 31/2yrs old. He was a great young buck with geat width and beams. Another year or two and i would guess he would have been a brute but thats what they are there for and if Grow was happy with that buck so be it.

If you read the posts you can see that even Grow wanted that buck to survive to be something else next year or better. Sh!t Happens

I just think its funny that guys on this forum constantly talk about how they are gonna pass this buck and that buck until they are in front of them.  Don't get me wrong you can shoot whatever you want but at the end of the day I just feel like everyone talks like they are trophy hunters until they are given an opportunity.  

Don't take this post the wrong way I think it's great that you shot a buck.  What I don't get is you posted a pic of a deer and specifically said you were gonna let him walk.  How can you hunt without a scope or binoculars and expect to know exactly what you are shooting at? I don't know about the rest of you but it really hard to tell any thing more than the deer has horns at 75-100yds.  Anyways everyone's a trophy hunter on this forum until opportunity presents itself on this forum :) 

No disrespect! Congrats on the buck!

• Like 3

Disagree. That looks to be at least a 3 1/2. That rack ain't improving a ton

I agree with Fourseasonwhitetails.  I think it's 2.5 yrs old.  it's legs still look overly long compared to at 3.5 they'll look proportionate to it's body.  it's hind end still has that jacked up appearance.  it's neck would be much thicker at 3.5 yrs old.  it has equal mass or lack thereof from front to back.  at 3.5 they really look front heavy and like a 2.5 year old in the rear.  antlers can vary a lot but it's got a set that I've seen grown by 2.5 yr olds many times before.  so I don't think it's 3.5 and it most definitely isn't older.

I just think its funny that guys on this forum constantly talk about how they are gonna pass this buck and that buck until they are in front of them.  Don't get me wrong you can shoot whatever you want but at the end of the day I just feel like everyone talks like they are trophy hunters until they are given an opportunity.  

Don't take this post the wrong way I think it's great that you shot a buck.  What I don't get is you posted a pic of a deer and specifically said you were gonna let him walk.  How can you hunt without a scope or binoculars and expect to know exactly what you are shooting at? I don't know about the rest of you but it really hard to tell any thing more than the deer has horns at 75-100yds.  Anyways everyone's a trophy hunter on this forum until opportunity presents itself on this forum :)

No disrespect! Congrats on the buck!

lol..Not me...Still eating does so far this year. I cant stand bone soup unless its from a mature deer and hopefully in the 120-150 range. Everything else walks!

Agree with most of your post. The thing that irks me the most is the ones that shoot a smaller or immature buck and then make excuses for the killing. To far away..It was running..Thought it had brows..It was the last couple days. Most will kill before eating tag soup.