NewJersey

Dom

Northern NJ close to Sterling is a freak show. Too bad is too far for me otherwise I would be there everyday. I think they have unlimited doe tag over there. I'm thinking maybe one year I will just move there for a fall season :-)

I've hunted NJ for years and took a 300 lb bear a few years ago.  I think NW NJ and Sussex County are the best places for bear hunting in the state.  I like Stokes State Forest because I know it intimately.  The Delaware Water Gap lands are also very good.

These places also get fewer hunters than lands further east and closer to populated areas of the state.

• Like 1

I've hunted NJ for years and took a 300 lb bear a few years ago.  I think NW NJ and Sussex County are the best places for bear hunting in the state.  I like Stokes State Forest because I know it intimately.  The Delaware Water Gap lands are also very good.

These places also get fewer hunters than lands further east and closer to populated areas of the state.

I fished in Flatbrook a few years ago, where that lost city is. Talk about creepy! But youre right, thats some of the prettiest country youll ever see. Last week I was driving around Falnders/Mt Olive and its perfect deer cover

• Like 1

Northern NJ close to Sterling is a freak show. Too bad is too far for me otherwise I would be there everyday. I think they have unlimited doe tag over there. I'm thinking maybe one year I will just move there for a fall season :-)

I was thinking of a nonresident license for next season.NJ is only an hour and a half drive for myself why is that to far to travel for Hunting?The bear take in one day was like near 300 wow!

I was thinking of a nonresident license for next season.NJ is only an hour and a half drive for myself why is that to far to travel for Hunting?The bear take in one day was like near 300 wow!

It ain't undoable I just consider places that are like 20 min from me more attractive but seeing (or not seeing) what we have this year I might be tempted to go back there... Let me know, maybe we should team up....

I drive an hour and forty minutes to hunt in NY, I say go for it

I am going to do it.For 135.00 for a season/year sure worth the money.That cost is for gun/rifle hunting/sounds like a great idea to me.Jersey has longer season then NY.I also like that youth hunting is no charge

It ain't undoable I just consider places that are like 20 min from me more attractive but seeing (or not seeing) what we have this year I might be tempted to go back there... Let me know, maybe we should team up....

I understand you completely for the little cost and for the chance of a better/longer season I see no reason not to give it a try for atleast one season.

As a Jersey resident, I can say with great confidence that we have some huge deer and bears. From what I have heard and researched, the only problem is that the state land portions are small and can get way too over crowded. The season is really long and you can take multiple deer in a season depending on the zones. 

• 2 weeks later...

just an FYI to you guys,  NJ is also expanding the bear season starting next season, 2016.  adding a six day early season starting in October.  The first three days of the season will be archery equipment only, then the next three days will be archery or muzzleloader.  Not sure on the dates yet, I believe starting the second Monday of October.

Undoubtedly some of the highest bear densities per square mile in the US, along with outstanding bear habitat, can create some excellent hunting opportunities.   do a google search of some of the bears that have been harvested over the last few years there, many bruins taken over the 600lb mark and even a few that were over 700lbs, as well as a beast of a bear that tipped the scales at 829lbs.  Below is a link to the story on that huge bear

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/12/829lb-black-bear-takes-record-in-nj-bear-hunt/#axzz3vcmnKW8h

Edited by spltlim

Just a fyi. Northwestern NJ is not the best part of state. North central is. Look to any show you see, it's the same two towns in the news.

The bear biologists are using harvest data to determine densities n thus conclude the water gap is it. Totally ridiculous.

This area of the state

That I referred to area, North central has very few deer in comparison to other areas. Also worse access. Hence the average guy w no where to go hits the water gap causing hunter saturation to allow higher bear harvest.

I see 6-8 a day just walking to my truck some days n don't live near the gap.

Biologists now admit the highest bear denning is in West Milford. They're not coming from 20 miles away to nap