Who's Killed A Coyote?

Lawdwaz

Night hunting in the woods is tough when you're using lights to scan. I find the lights shine off the trees too much. One of the biggest problems with hunting during a full moon is the fact that they can see you better. You need to scan constantly so you can pick up their eyes before they see you and all that scanning means you need to move more giving them more chance to see you. It's a vicious circle.

Yes you can have success during a full moon, but once you start educating coyotes they get smarter and increasingly harder to hunt.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

I haven't had any issues with the trees reflecting light back with the low setting off the red emitters. It's pretty good for the woods.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

Thanks WNYBuckHunter.

Anybody else?

Eerily quiet as I suspected. 

Lots of big talkers with great advice here.....

You want to kill coyotes; get a bunch of dogs.  Train them well, get GPS collars, secure permission to VAST tracs of land, wait for snow then gather a bunch of friends to seal off escape routes.  You might get more than ONE a year then.

Or trap; secure permission to VAST tracts of land, buy a pile of traps, gather the necessary bait, scout the farms for sign, set the traps, check the traps every 24 hours.  You MIGHT get one a year until you figure out how it's done.

There's a reason most guys have only killed a couple, cause they (like me) shoot them as a target of opportunity while deer hunting and even then it's darn tough.  The only reason I've even killed the ones I've got is because there was snow on the ground, I doubt I'd have ever got them with bare ground.

OK, I'm done.

Happy New Year.

• Like 2

All my calling up until a year ago was done alone with mouth calls. I've always done good on fox, but yotes are tough. Hunting alone with mouth calls is tough when you have to man the lights, calls and gun. They're also coming in looking at you so keeping the light on them is crucial. They almost always get downwind of the call too so more often than not they will wind you long before they even get in sight let alone into gun range. This is why I say that beating them at their own game is such a great accomplishment that any hunter should be proud of. My stance on running them with dogs is based on the fact that I personally could not be proud of killing them in that manner. Respecting our quarry is what sets hunters and killers apart.

Since getting my FOXPRO last January I've only been out a few times due to family obligations, work and deer hunting, but I'm all set to get back into it so don't you fret because I'm about to start putting holes between eyeballs!

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 1

Got my first today also. Called in with bluetooth speaker and app on IPhone. Was only calling for 30 minutes after sitting quiet for an hour or so. Shot at 68-70 yards with 223 Savage Axis in Putnam County 3N. Large mature male. 17f7fd56078c1b2b306461dbf7c7d4cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Got my first today also. Called in with bluetooth speaker and app on IPhone. Was only calling for 30 minutes after sitting quiet for an hour or so. Shot at 68-70 yards with 223 Savage Axis in Putnam County 3N. Large mature male. 17f7fd56078c1b2b306461dbf7c7d4cd.jpg

nice one! Where in 3N?

Which app?? Got a ue boom Bluetooth speaker for Xmas that has great sound...deff need to put it to proper use!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Good to see some killed while NOT deer hunting, anybody can stumble into them THAT way.  (myself included!).

So who has done it regularly and how many do you get a year?

This will be when we sort the wheat from the chaff.................................... :)

Coyotes are the most challenging animal to hunt in my experience. I have only killed one in the past 6 years that I have invested in hunting them. I don't have any sources but I have been told that for the eastern coyote, 1 encounter every 12 or so stands is average. I would take a rough guess and say I probably make 40 stands a year for them and I have about 3ish opportunities for a kill (visual) a year. I would like to think that I've gotten pretty decent at covering my bases but they have a knack for finding the smallest holes in my game plan. I have also found that I have had the best luck so far calling them before deer gun season.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody getting any yote fox or bobcats? I haven't tried in a few years but may try the last day of fox and cat season, 2/15

They were shooting last night about 1030 across hill don't know if any were taken...cat season ended before deer season here in western ny

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is our first year calling coyotes, and I'm learning they are no pushovers! We have gotten five out of fifteen or so sets, on different properties. And so far have not killed one from a set where we have killed one before. We are doing OK, we are learning, but so are the coyotes.

• Like 3

Ok fellas put me on the short list too!

Nice pack of yotes here!

1-9-16

Not sure she came in for the carcass I was hunting over or if it was my seductive alpha dawg howls,lol

Regardless, she showed up 10 minutes after my first call of my 3'rd hunt at 30yds at 12:09pm.

I've had ZERO luck since.

original.jpg

162478383.jpg

• Like 11

good looking coyote and nice job getting it with the muzzle loader and as always great pics.

Ok fellas put me on the short list too!

Nice pack of yotes here!

1-9-16

Not sure she came in for the carcass I was hunting over or if it was my seductive alpha dawg howls,lol

Regardless, she showed up 10 minutes after my first call of my 3'rd hunt at 30yds at 12:09pm.

I've had ZERO luck since.

original.jpg

162478383.jpg

• Like 1

Anybody getting any yote fox or bobcats? I haven't tried in a few years but may try the last day of fox and cat season, 2/15

Only killed one yote this year. Our best yote spots get run real hard with dogs so it has felt nonexistent for us calling them lately, not even hearing them howl at all, we used to hear them on every trip. We are taking somewhat of a hiatus on the yotes though because we wanna target fox real hard til the season closes, then we will get back on the yotes hard.

We have killed 3 fox so far this season. But with that, we have gotten busted 2 other times, had one come in quick but then hang up just outta range and eventually left, packed up our set a little too early and heard one barking (I think they actually call it a vixen scream) a couple weeks ago, pulled into our spot one night and one was already in the field when we got there another time, and last night we are pretty confident we called in a fox but we weren't able to get a good enough ID on him before he slipped behind a tree snuck outta there.

As far as bobcat, I'm part of the bobcat expansion area in the SZ but I just cant justify bobcat hunting during the deer rut so I haven't hunted them yet really.

• Like 1

Well, I have to assume I'm in the 15-20ish range for just dogs with e-calling and prob another 6 or 7ish? during deer season. Most dogs shot at night under the moon with no lights and solo hunting. FoxPro shockwave with the fox jack.

Edited by TreeGuy

Maybe I should mention that where I used to live there were multiple packs within a couple hundred yards. What I learned is they were territorial and my stand was the half way point between two deep and long reviens. I learned that if I heard them start to howl early evening that meant they were out of the den or packed up to go hunt. I would always give them time to split up and I would do some basic vocals, if they answered I would stay quiet and that would work, they would come investigate immediately. If I got answers back, but nothing came in I would do some challenge calls, wait and if they answered I would wait again... That worked too, and if it didn't I would just let the pup in distress go on full volume and use the foxpitch feature after a bit. If that didn't work I would pack up and head in. I barely had many kills with rabbit or bird distress. I think after a kill or two they wised up. It really seemed like they were more in the mood to fight than hunt, so I basically played each pack against the other.

Edited by TreeGuy
  • Like 4