NY State Gun Manufacturing

Here in NY State some of the very best American firearms were produced at one time. 

Remington Ilion NY  the oldest gunmaker is all that is left and for how much longer who knows. Remington also owns the Parker name and produced Parker doubles into the 1940s. The Parkers along with the Winchester model 21 are considered by many as the creme of the American doubles. The also produced a pretty good double of their own.

Ithaca gun, Ithaca NY the producers of the famous model 37 pump, the Flues and NID and an entry level Lefever doubles, the Mag 10, the model 51 auto and the single barrel trap. 

First brand new gun I ever purchased was an Ithaca Deerslayer.

Ithaca Classic Doubles Victor NY wonderful and ornate doubles based on the old NID.

Lefever Arms Syracuse NY, produced beautiful sidelock doubles.

Savage Arms Utica NY, My Dad worked there before, WW2. They produced the famous model 99 lever action rifle and also fine AH Fox doubles and the entry level Stevens B model.

Baker Shotguns, Batavia NY produced sidelock doubles such as the Black Beauty and Leader, fine mid priced hunter's shotguns.

LC Smith Fulton NY, fine sidelock doubles in many grades were produced there until the late forties along with and entry level boxlock. The Elsie sidelock is one of my favorites.

Except for Remington they are all gone now but certainly not forgotten as they were some of Americas best and made right here in NY.

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

An old friend of mine who recently passed away had a wonderful collection of American made side by sides. He started buying them in the 50s and early 60s, when everyone wanted repeaters and the doubles had not become "collectible" yet. He had Parkers, AH Fox, Lefevers, Ithacas, Remingtons, Bakers , LC Smiths, and others, most of which he bought dirt cheap.

I assume his son and daughters have them now.

• Like 1

An old friend of mine who recently passed away had a wonderful collection of American made side by sides. He started buying them in the 50s and early 60s, when everyone wanted repeaters and the doubles had not become "collectible" yet. He had Parkers, AH Fox, Lefevers, Ithacas, Remingtons, Bakers , LC Smiths, and others, most of which he bought dirt cheap.

I assume his son and daughters have them now.

I'm sorry about your friend, Pygmy. That sounds like a collection I'd like to see.

We can only hope the guns he cared so much about are being appropriately cared for today.

I'm sorry about your friend, Pygmy. That sounds like a collection I'd like to see.

We can only hope the guns he cared so much about are being appropriately cared for today.

Yeah, Philo, I used to stop by his farmhouse and visit and DROOL over his guns. He had a 16 gauge Parker that I'd give my right nut for...<<sigh>>...

He does have a son and daughters, whom I assume inherited the guns, and no doubt are aware of their value.

Pygmy I believe that you are pretty much on the mark when you say back in the 50s and 60s and probably even a little earlier the trend when it came to shotguns was leaning toward 5 shot repeating pumps and autoloaders.

I know as a young fellow I would not even give a double a second look, I thought they were ugly, clubby and outdated relics compared to a nice new Browning auto five or a Remington 1100.

That was util I became educated on the double and found out first hand what a wonderful versatile hunting weapon they could be. I purchased an Ithaca 280 English 20ga (Actually made by SKB) back in the late sixties and it has been my small game hunting partner since.

Skyrocketing prices and  being a little light in the wallet kept me from getting any high end stuff but over the years I did manage scrape up enough dough to swing a CZ 28ga Ringneck and a like new LC Smith featherweight 12 ga, I just love using and carrying those guns.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

A big factor in NY, Al, was the fact that shotguns were required for deer in many areas and most doubles do not perform well with slugs. In the 40s, 50s and 60s many guys only owned one shotgun and a repeater was a better choice for deer hunting.

I have always loved side by sides. My main upland bird/small game gun is also An Ithaca/SKB, a 20 gauge M100 that I bought used but like new in the mid 70s for $200. It's shot 1000s of rounds and it still functions perfectly and points where I look.

I have a story to tell relating to customer service.

A good friend of mine owned an Ithaca SKB M100 20 gauge just like mine.

One day when his son was a toddler, the boy knocked his Dad's shotgun off a table, and the buttstock broke when it hit the floor. He contacted Ithaca Gun to get a replacement stock, and they told him to bring or ship the gun to the factory. Since it's only about an hour drive, my buddy drove to the factory.

When he arrived, the factory fitted the gun with a brand new ENGLISH (280 type) stock and a new forend to match, for no charge.

• Like 2

Years ago there were a bunch of those so called store brands like JC Higgins, Westernfield, Revelation, Ted Williams etc. They are good solid plain Janes that at the time sold at a reasonable price. They were all produced by one of the big companies and rebadged, I think High Standard was a major player in producing many of those store brand firearms.

Al

Years ago there were a bunch of those so called store brands like JC Higgins, Westernfield, Revelation, Ted Williams etc. They are good solid plain Janes that at the time sold at a reasonable price. They were all produced by one of the big companies and rebadged, I think High Standard was a major player in producing many of those store brand firearms.

Al

I believe High Standard made most of the pumps and autos, Marlin made the levers, Mossberg made the bolt action shotguns and rimfires, Savage/Stevens and others made single shots.. Some of the centerfire bolt rifles were made with FN mauser barreled actions, and are very high quality .