Need help deciding

Caveman

So through work I can get a "Prostaff discout" on almost any gun I want.  Discounts ranging from 30 to 50%.  I've decided on the Remington 700 but I can't decide on what I want it chambered in.  I was thinking maybe .308.  I grew up shooting with a .308 and it's an excellent long range cartridge out to 1000 yards.  However it is still a short action round.  Someday in the future I'd like to chase elk out west and moose up north and there's some debate as to the adequacy of .308.  So basically I'm deciding between .270 (also debatable for adequacy), .308, and .30-06.

Any suggestions.  And please keep it between these three.  I'm not interested in 7mm-08, .300 win. mag or any other popular cartridge.  Just these three. 

The .308 is adequate for any moose or elk that ever walked, as, of course ,is the 30-06... On  paper the 30-06 has some ballistic advantage, especially with heavier bullets, but in the field, at ranges that most of us shoot ( say 300-400 yards max) , it's not enough to argue about..

With proper bullets, the .270 is adequate also , but some folks consider it marginal for the big stuff, just as some folks consider the .243 marginal for deer...

• Like 1

What does the 308 being a short action round matter i thought this would actually be an advantage for follow up shots. Foot pounds is what matters the most and all three of these have plenty of foot pounds to kill any of these animals with a good bullet.  I personally own a 30-06 and shot a moose with it and the moose ran 40 yards and died and the bullet passed through about 5 ft of the animal. All three calibers will work great for any animal you chase.

Wildcats...  I am certainly not trying to talk you OUT of a 30-06.... That cartridge is NEVER a bad choice for North American game...

Just saying that arguing the difference between a 30-06 and a .308 is basically a moot point..

Shoot 150 to 180 grain bullets in either chambering and the game will never know the difference.. There are lots of suitable factory loads available for both..

Some folks think there advantages to short actions...I shoot  calibers with both standard and short actions and really have no preference..

I agree with Pygmy...both are great. but I do have to give the nod to the 30-06 just for available ammunition. You will find it in any shop in North America. Military surplus is still available and since you are going with the 700 it would not bother it even if it is corrosive. (assuming your cleaning it properly).

When I was faced with the same choice I pick the 30-06 and have not regretted it once...And by the way...since I am from the Mowhawk Valley...I like your choice in guns too. ;)

My go to gun is a 30-06 I own 2 a Winchester and a Browning.You can not go wrong.I do own a 308 also.I have taken deer with both.you can walk into any mom and pop store anywhere that sells ammo and you well find 06 on the shelf.I would go for the 06 and get the 308 later.

truthfull ythere is no difference between 30-06 and 308 as stated.  However there is little to no difference between 30-06 and 270, making them all in any hunting scenario equal. 270 is a 30-06 case necked down to take a .277 bullet instead of a 308 dia bullet.  You can easily get 270 ammo anywhere from 130 to 150 grain.  More than adequate for all you have mentioned.  So take your pick and enjoy.

I think I'm going for the .308 for nostalgia purposes.  And as for the glass, I haven't decided yet but I know It'll probably be a 3.5-10x mil-dot reticle.  Down the line a few years I'm also looking into a Macmillan A-5 stock.  Not cheap but the factory set -up is less than ideal.  Go big or home right?

I have all 3. Personal favorite to shoot is .270 in Rem 700. More accurate than the the others I own in the 760/7600 models. .270 might too small for those possible long range elk shots. 30-06 prob the best of the three if big game going to be taken. You can beef up the 30-06 loads for the big game. For pure bench shooting enjoyment and whitetail = .270!!

• 1 month later...

Wildcats160,

The Remington 700 is an excellent choice, as far as the caliber goes and what you have stated you may want to do with it......................I would stick with the .308 or .30-06. Both are great and very versitile when looking to handload (there is a wide spread of available bullets and load combo's for both of them)

I personally think the .270 is on the light side for Elk sized animals, IMO.

As far as accuracy and long range distances with the .308, correct me if I am wrong but it is still one of the calibers of choice by the US military snipers.

FDXX75