Remington 750

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a buddy who tried the fusion this year.Shot two deer but was very unhappy with the performance of the fusion.Not in the 750 but still I would also stay away from the fusion.

Got probably 6 to 8 inches of the wet snow. Im not happy, one day out looking for sheds on open ground the next there's 6to8 come on !!!!Cool corlocks are all ive ever used in rifle and have had good luck with them.

I have one in 35 Whelen, I use it as a brushgun.  I like it a lot.  I had a 7400 before that in 270, all of the accuracy and feeding problems in the 7400 seem to have been worked out with the 750's.  I'm happy with mine.  30-06 is an awesome and versitle round.  My only advice with any semi-auto is stay away from super high velocity loadings.

I plan on using the cheap Remington corelock ammo in 150 0r 165 grain. ANyone have any problems with these?

Remington Core Loks are not a cheap ammo, they are one of the best factory ammo's you can purchase. If you are shooting an .30-06 I would not recommend a bullet under 165 gr. for deer.

FDXX75

I have one in 35 Whelen, I use it as a brushgun.  I like it a lot.  I had a 7400 before that in 270, all of the accuracy and feeding problems in the 7400 seem to have been worked out with the 750's.  I'm happy with mine.  30-06 is an awesome and versitle round.  My only advice with any semi-auto is stay away from super high velocity loadings.

I plan on using the cheap Remington corelock ammo in 150 0r 165 grain. ANyone have any problems with these?

Remington Core Loks are not a cheap ammo, they are one of the best factory ammo's you can purchase. If you are shooting an .30-06 I would not recommend a bullet under 165 gr. for deer.

FDXX75

Ok how bout less expensive than  premium ammo  :)  I was looking at the 165 ballistics and they look pretty good. If I sight in at 145 yrds 3 inch high I could aim center mass all the way out to 287 yrds give or take, without falling out of the kill area, depending on the rifle. Will have to get a few boxes and see how far out of the kill zone they drop with a 18 inch barrel.I think it will be a little more drop than a 22 1/2 inch barrel.

they're inexpensive com[ared to a lot of other commercial ammo.  I have had jacket seperation with them in the past.  That can be true will all non-bonded bullets.

I used Core Loks for 20 yrs before I started reloading, one had one bullet seperate, found it in the dead deer.

FDXX75

I would rather have a bullet seperation inside the deer and deliver all its energy than a bullet that didn't mushroom at all. My buddy uses 150 grains in his 30-06 and it liquifies there insides. 165 should be good also 180 might not expand and anything over that might not either. Does that mean either of those won't kill a deer, no any well placed shot through the lungs broadside wheather it expands or not is 99% sure to kill a deer. But I would still like for the bullet to shred the lungs and cause instant lights out.

Jacket seperation is caused by light construction in swaged (aka locked bullets).  Its  abig indicator of bullet inefficiency.  It influences would channels, tissue damge reduction and rapid loss of energy frequently in a shallower wound.  This all adds up to a higher potential for wounded animals instead of dead ones.  A heavier bullet of lighter construction may not do it either.  If you won't put you butt in a lightly constructed treestand, why would you put lightly constructed in your deer rifle?  Both can ruin your hunt.  Just something to think about.  If you want to shoot locked bullets some are heavier than others and would probably give you better results.  The Core Locts are among the better of the lot.  I alos agree that the 165 gr loading in 30-06 is superior to the 150 gr.  The sectional density is far superior in the heavier round.

Jacket seperation is caused by light construction in swaged (aka locked bullets).  Its  abig indicator of bullet inefficiency.  It influences would channels, tissue damge reduction and rapid loss of energy frequently in a shallower wound.  This all adds up to a higher potential for wounded animals instead of dead ones.  A heavier bullet of lighter construction may not do it either.  If you won't put you butt in a lightly constructed treestand, why would you put lightly constructed in your deer rifle?  Both can ruin your hunt.  Just something to think about.  If you want to shoot locked bullets some are heavier than others and would probably give you better results.  The Core Locts are among the better of the lot.  I alos agree that the 165 gr loading in 30-06 is superior to the 150 gr.  The sectional density is far superior in the heavier round.

picked up a box of 165's today

At 30-06 velocities ANY cup and core bullet from 150-220 grains will expand reliably and work well on deer size game... A deer is lightly constructed and does not offer the challenge to a bullet that a big bull elk, a brown bear, or a cape buffalo would..

Premium bullets  ( bonded, monolithic, etc) will work well also, but will cost you more money and should give you  better penetration on a raking shot or  a Texas heart shot...

I favor Barnes TSX... Not because I need a bullet that stout for deer, but because they are very accurate in my rifles, they kill like lightning, and they don't leave as much shredded, bloodshot meat as most cup and core bullets do..

Point made, WNY..... :D ....

It's just that some of us like to discuss technical stuff , while most of the action lately has concerned crossbows, legal shooting hours, and other legal and ethical type issues...

I DID notice your tongue in your cheek... ;D ....

So have you shot the the gun yet?

Just got back and finished taking it apart and cleaning and oiling it. I also had to re super glue the screws into the base, added a little xtra this time, last time i didn't put enough on I think, pulled back on the scope after I was done shooting and it moved backwards a little. Was more of a learning experience this time than anything. Takes a bit of practice getting a loaded magazine in and seated properly. Also I noticed when you slam the bolt forward to load a bullet you have to push forward on the handle a little to get it to seat the 1st bullet correctly. I think its a little tight because its brand new. Other than that I had no jams, shot groups I expected out of a semi with a 18 inch barrel at 100yrds and was more than pleased to shoot 20 rounds of 30-06 and not even have a sore shoulder. The gas operation took a ton of recoil out of the gun, my 308 bolt gun had more recoil than this 30-06. Will need another 20 rounds to smooth things out and get a better feel for the gun :)  Might grab a box of 180's and 150's just to see if they shoot better. I also found some 125's but I think that may be a little light.

Any 30-06 factory loads are probably loaded with varmint bullets too lightly constructed for good performance on deer size game.. OK if you want a woodchuck or coyote load, but I'd stick to the 150-180 grainers for deer...

As a general rule, .30 cal. bullets of LESS than 150 grains are designed for varmints and those  that are 150 or heavier are designed for big game...There are a few exceptions, such as monolithic bullets ( like Barnes X)  or bullets  that are designed for the 7.62 x 39, with it's smaller case capacity and lower velocities...