Turkey "Memory" or "Habit"

Zoltan

Hunting on new private land past few years I've only had success with spring gobblers on one particular spot (out of dozens of acres and what look to be prime habitat).  I've taken three nice birds in the past three years, but only while setting-up my ground blind in the same spot.

For the more experienced turkey hunters, if this is a "resident" flock,  do you feel that they have any memory of previous birds being taken in a particular spot in the past?  There are obviously factors (food, fresh water stream) that keep drawing the birds to this spot.  Would you believe that they are just driven by food and mating to this spot and that spring "madness" to mate may override any common sense?

Thanks in advance

Zoltan

Hunting on new private land past few years I've only had success with spring gobblers on one particular spot (out of dozens of acres and what look to be prime habitat).  I've taken three nice birds in the past three years, but only while setting-up my ground blind in the same spot.

For the more experienced turkey hunters, if this is a "resident" flock,  do you feel that they have any memory of previous birds being taken in a particular spot in the past?  There are obviously factors (food, fresh water stream) that keep drawing the birds to this spot.  Would you believe that they are just driven by food and mating to this spot and that spring "madness" to mate may override any common sense?

Thanks in advance

Zoltan

I don't think they have common sense.....no different then killing deer from the same tree every year. I honestly don't believe animals can figure out what gunfire is, unless you add some other factor in to messing the area up it's forgotten......what do you think they do during lightening and thunder storms? pretty sure they haven't figured that one out either.

Gonna tell you right now, an undisturbed bird may act a certain way often. Let the bird know he's being hunted n they get harder to kill, where I live there are some pretty fair turkey nuts. Dumb ones get killed quick so you gotta be sneaky or a trespasser to have a good chance. Kill the bird n it won't have any memory.

• Like 1

A little off-topic, but if you ever get a chance, watch the documentary "My Life as a Turkey". http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvccpd_my-life-as-a-turkey-hd_shortfilms  It's the story of a human who raised a brood of turkeys from eggs to adults. One of the main concepts I grabbed form this film is that turkeys are born with superior instinct & survival skills.

On-topic, I think if you shoot one or two birds on a property a year, they're not going to be particularly spooked. Let 5 or 10 guys walk through the property blowing turkey calls, and you will be hunting a whole different bird.

• Like 1

Many magazines and website will usually take this stuff and re-iterate it for the layman hunter but I prefer going to the edu's for hard core studies and blending that with what i see and other hunters experiences.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/wild_turkey.htm

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/wild_turkey/lifehistory

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/natural_resources/wildlife/publications/fs35_eastern_wild_turkey.html

a deeper search will reveal study white papers that are really technical but very interesting.