Dissapointed in Browning

Curmudgeon

Based on a Phade recommendation, I purchased a Browning BTC-7FHD primarily to take video at eagle research sites. Much of the video was of very high quality. Some was foggy, like what you would expect from moisture in the air. This problem was on and off. Then in one video - a foggy video - a raven bumped the camera. It instantly became perfectly clear. That would not happen if it was moisture on the lens.

I returned the camera under warranty. Browning sent me either a used or refurbished unit to replace it. I bought a new camera that did not work properly from day one. I expected them to fix it (unlikely), or replace it with a new camera. The used camera seems to be working fine. I just find this to be less than adequate.  

• Like 1

Based on a Phade recommendation, I purchased a Browning BTC-7FHD primarily to take video at eagle research sites. Much of the video was of very high quality. Some was foggy, like what you would expect from moisture in the air. This problem was on and off. Then in one video - a foggy video - a raven bumped the camera. It instantly became perfectly clear. That would not happen if it was moisture on the lens.

I returned the camera under warranty. Browning sent me either a used or refurbished unit to replace it. I bought a new camera that did not work properly from day one. I expected them to fix it (unlikely), or replace it with a new camera. The used camera seems to be working fine. I just find this to be less than adequate.

Not sure if it's stated in their warranty or not, but if the camera didn't work from day 1, I wouldn't deal with the manufacturer, I'd go to the retailer.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Not sure if it's stated in their warranty or not, but if the camera didn't work from day 1, I wouldn't deal with the manufacturer, I'd go to the retailer.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

The problem was, I did not know it wasn't weather until 3 months in.

I am not going to battle with them. I just don't have the energy right now.

I have a hard time picturing why a bird bumping a camera would add clarity to the camera video. The only thing I can think of would be the filter moving in and out of the way, but if that were the case, either the "fog" would be on one side only or the image would be colored a pink/purple color.

Cross threaded lenses would result in 100% unclear videos and wouldn't be factored by a bump.

Can you post the video of it "going clear." I actually think it could be either a bad battery, low battery, or potentially bad wiring/connection with the battery tray. What kind of batteries were they? Lithium? Were batteries ever changed in this cam besides the firs set put in? When on video, as videos draw batteries down, you start to see these kinds of problems.

Also, here is the only other oddball thing that I know has happened with the full size Brownings. The lens area can collect debris causing a foggy/fuzzy/blurry look to photos and vids. I do not get that with the smaller sub micro units because the camera is under the sensor and array which acts like a hood at times. The bird bumping it may have set free the debris on the lens, which would explain the instant clarity. Because the lens is so small, miniscule "crud" can cause big distortions on the video. I have personally had this happen to both of the Recon Forces I have owned but cleaning the lens instantly fixed any distortions.

The replacement camera isn't the first time I have heard them do that, but it is the first time I have heard them do that since the very first month they were in business a few years ago. That is shoddy IMO. Part of me thinks they are literally out of the 2015 BTC7FHDs and the 2016s haven't arrived yet. Browning rarely seems to have a glut of their cams on the market, so I think they artificially keep prices inflated by supply control.

I do know that people return lots of cams as defects - and most companies find out that the cam works fine, the batteries being used were either bad or drained. Before I troubleshoot anything, I always replace batteries with a fresh tested set of alkalines and a clean formatted SD card. In this case, I would have done that and cleaned the lens area first before returning.

I suggest you do reach out to them and tell them your situation and ask for a new in box replacement. I don't think any camera's warranty includes that a new cam will be the replacement, but it has been the norm for most companies' practices.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Sorry, to hear this. Best of luck to you, Id hope they make things right for you. 

I have a Browning BTC-5HD and it takes awesome video footage and great picture Quality. I have only had a very few bad pics out of the several thousands that it has taken. No complaints. 

keep us posted, i am definitely curious in case mine ever fails

At your prompting - all of you - I followed up with Browning. They say the replacement was a new camera - sans packaging, etc. It arrived in a box with some cushioning around it, nothing but a camera body. The lens was dirty when it arrived. The camera had fingerprints on it. The only thing in the box besides camera and packaging was a note "we tested this one". So, maybe they sent a new one. However, their techs need to wash their hands and learn to communicate.

• Like 2

As a side note let me explain a bit about the lens' used in these cameras. Up until the late 70 cameras of all kinds were limited in clarity due to poor commercial lens making technology. Sure we could hand polish a lens for a telescope or spy plane camera but to make small lens for portable cameras by the thousands was still a pipe dream for many in the industry. What really made the single use "recyclable" cameras of old possible was the mass produced plastic lens that was developed for it by Kodak (in cooperation with others). These lens continue to evolve and get better but will never measure up to glass.

So guess what's in most of the trail cameras we buy?

The "stuff on the lens" disappears in one second that coincides with the camera being bumped. How does that happen?

Since you are filming birds and lots of them, I suspect it is bird matter, those small feathers/fluff (whatever the correct term is) or possibly excrement flaked off, etc. I'm not knowledgeable on birds, but having owned one in a cage as a young kid, there were a lot of feather-matter on the bottom of cages when the cages needed cleaning. I'm thinking that is what this stuff is. Any its probably because you literally have dozens upon dozens of birds in that video, that it has to be common enough. I suppose it could be earth matter or forest/field matter too, but birds are dirty, lol.

I sincerely doubt this is a camera defect or malfunction. I could be wrong, but it just seems pretty clear it was jarred loose by the raven bumping it. The only moving part in that part of the cam is the filter.

Phade -

I don't know what it is. I wanted Browning to view the video before I sent the camera back. They declined.

I think your supposition would also apply to every camera at a site taking still shots. It does not. The video and still cameras are stacked one on top of another. The Browning was at 2 sites. At the first, the person who maintains the site complained about this problem coming and going - quite independent of the still camera. When we moved it to my site, the results were the same.

Here - a few years back - I put a roof over the camera post to keep the lava flow of raven excrement from covering the camera. That can really cover the lens.

In any case, I do not see anything that would make me think this is a camera defect.

The browning case design is such that this happens to the lens. Other case designs, even Browning's strike force has the array, lens, and sensor in a different configuration. The lens is often lower in many cam bodies.

A pie plate made of aluminum keeps debris and water off the lens but could be noisy during rain .I attach the plate above the top of cam and this seems to control blurry pics and dirt on lens.

I think Slowhand had a good idea he posted a couple years ago . Take a gallon jug from something like a windshield washer bottle . Slice off the bottom except for say a 3" wide strip going lengthwise . Place the 3"strip behind the camera and tighten the camera to the tree . The bottom of the jug would act as an umbrella . Paint it if you desire .