Fox and Racoon Hunting On Long Island

jpolihro

Has anybody done any racoon or fox hunting on the island? I know it's shotgun season for deer hunting but I plan to hunt only on weekends. They say night hunting is the best but I don't have the time to head out there at night. Curious to see how difficult it may be during the day.

Thanks Rich, maybe i'll head out for some fox. I have Distress calls that should bring them in, I just wasn't sure if anyone had seen them during the day here on the island.

I live in Coram which is close to Rocky Point and Otis Pike, I was thinking of checking out some Rocky Point Fields.

Thanks Rich, maybe i'll head out for some fox. I have Distress calls that should bring them in, I just wasn't sure if anyone had seen them during the day here on the island.

I live in Coram which is close to Rocky Point and Otis Pike, I was thinking of checking out some Rocky Point Fields.

I am going to try fox hunting this febuary myself on the island, Is Buckshot legal for predators?

I shot two fox last friday. Just walk around in the snow find some fresh tracks and if you have a rabbit squell you are set. I saw five all together that morning but was only able to get shots off at the two. The others were to far or saw me before i could get the shot off.  They are very smart/quick.

I shot two fox last friday. Just walk around in the snow find some fresh tracks and if you have a rabbit squell you are set. I saw five all together that morning but was only able to get shots off at the two. The others were to far or saw me before i could get the shot off.  They are very smart/quick.

Did you use a shotgun?

I was hunting rabbits in Mattatuck  the first week in Nov. Hunted property bordering a vinyard and a nursary in the late morning. We kicked up 2 fox and were they big ,as they ran thru the field we got two shots off but no luck. I was surprised how big they were, I thought they were the size of a small german shepard. I would guess 7 1/2's loads were not enough to take them down.

Dave

yeah used a shotgun.  No rifles are allowed on long island and i have shot one with a bow but that was pure luck.  Shotgun even the odds and with a modified choke you have a little room for error.  And as far as buckshot even if it was legal i wouldnt use it. The pelt would be worthless

I was a member of the Long Island Coonhound Assoc. some years ago, but I don't know if they are still around.

I did most of my coon hunting at night, but on rare occaisions I would see them up on big limbs in trees in daytime while squirrel hunting....but like I said it was rare. In fact the first coon I ever saw in the daytime I shot, and a week later my friend did the same. That's what got me to get a coonhound.Those coons were not on Long Island.

I coon hunted the coop alot as well as some private spots. I'm not sure how the rules are now, but we used to get a night hunting permit.

In recent times I have  hand called a number of fox on Long Island in the day and although I hate to admit it  years back one of my black and tans would run one if she thought I wouldn't be wise to her.

In my OPINION you'd have a better chance of  success calling fox in the day rather then coon hunting in the daytime.

Other then the coops and a few of the wetland spots that allow small game hunting finding spots can be tough. 

If your interested in hunting the weland spots you need a permit, it's free. Call the DEC in Stoneybrook and get the application ( It may be on line too). If you do want the wetlands  permit ask for the maps and regs. Some are restricted to duck hunting. And if you want to night hunt there, I'm not sure if it's allowed. You'd have to ask the DEC.

I used 12 guage #4 high brass for raccoons on Long Island.

Good luck

• 2 years later...

An air rifle would probably be effective at the same range that a shotgun has, but a .22mag would be a better choice IMO. The sound is minimal and effective range for shooting fox would double that of a shotgun.

As for post #10 in this thread regarding buckshot, yes it is legal for hunting furbearers.

An air rifle would probably be effective at the same range that a shotgun has, but a .22mag would be a better choice IMO. The sound is minimal and effective range for shooting fox would double that of a shotgun.

As for post #10 in this thread regarding buckshot, yes it is legal for hunting furbearers.

It is illegal to hunt with any rifle in LI. Airguns can be effective up to and beyond 100 yards, if the shooter does his part.

My current groupings at 100 yards is under 2" with my air gun.

My .22 caliber air rifle is grouping under an inch at 100 yards.

Amazingly as I've read the law and it's been explained to me by DEC officers in region one there is only a minimum caliber not a maximum caliber. In theory I could hunt with a.50 caliber air rifle. But I don't see going bigger than .25 or .30 caliber for Fox.

My .22 caliber air rifle is grouping under an inch at 100 yards.

Amazingly as I've read the law and it's been explained to me by DEC officers in region one there is only a minimum caliber not a maximum caliber. In theory I could hunt with a.50 caliber air rifle. But I don't see going bigger than .25 or .30 caliber for Fox.

That's correct, no max, yet. Which PCP are you shooting?

I'm saving for this PCP and a charging tank 31BZg1wfewL._SL500_SL135_.jpgAirForce Condor Bounty Hunter

Crosman 2100B

http://tedsholdover.com/ <---- This guys gave me the idea to approach farmers about airgun pest control and its been working! This past weekend alone I've been called BACK by a couple of landowners wanting to find out what i use and how.

Air guns is going to be future in terms of gaining access to reserved landowners that need help in praying and also establishing a good relationship to gain access for small game and big game down the road.

I'm very surprised you are able to get that type of accuracy out of springers and multi-pumps. Must be one heck of a shot!

Keep us posted!