Proficiency - How good do you think you are?

RoadKill44

There was a thread on AT where guys went outside in the morning and fired one shot at 30 or whatever and posted a pic. We should do that come August

I'm in too. It's got to be the first shot of the day.

Some guys have practice regiments all year long and others are starting to tone up the muscles and begin practice as the season approaches. But, practicing first and then taking a shot is cheating. It can be anytime of the day but It's got to be the first shot of the day before any practice shots.

Who has other rules for this August Challenge?

Who else is in.

• Like 3

Back to the thread. My initial goal was to see if there was any standard way to measure proficiency and suggest a challenge to some sort of standard method by which we could judge ourselves. To compare how good we think we are with how good we really are. I allude to the comment "I'm never as good I think I am. So I strive to be as good as I can be." I liked that.  

Just my opinion.....While practicing is very important I would have to say the best way to measure proficiency is whether 

or not one comes home with the game he/she is hunting. Practice hopefully makes you a better shot and puts you in condition to make the shot but if the shot can't be made at the moment of truth one isn't very  proficient.

I know a couple of guys that can shoot paper targets and 3d targets all day long but when it comes time to shoot a deer they choke and either miss or get a bad hit.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 2

one thing i learned from Tom Miranda that's helped a lot is practicing drawing on game even though you don't intend to shoot.  I keep my finger well off or behind the trigger.  i've got a tag for the buck or doe but am holding out for something better lets say.  drawing on a live deer is the best practice.

Lots of good advice.

Roadkill , drawing while on stand is a good thing to , I always do it frist thing to make sure I've got clearance of limbs and vines .

DB brings up another good point, draw on deer every chance you get . You'll learn how and when to move .

I always shoot a field point from stand , pick a root, leaf , green piece of moss and shoot it. ( beware of moss covered rocks....) I pick a target farther away the I would normally shoot or one I have to drop to clear a limb or something .This year I plan on bringing a couple extra field points to swap out the broadheads prior to climbing down , to give me additional practice from stand.

Steve D so true. I have a couple bow hunting friends out West. They go stump shooting and one guy can hit a leaf at 30 yards , but he misses Elk completely , it really frustrates the other guy .

Edited by Larry302